Ridiculous

Making a compost tumbler...

ok, here's the deal...

I'm relatively new to gardening and I'm planning a pretty large garden this spring. I've been looking into starting a compost pile and I ran across these things called compost tumblers. I'm going to assume you know what I'm talking about. if not, google it.

so, instantly I got a brain storm. by dad's a farmer, which is where I'm planting my garden. and he used to sell grass seed. specialized in grass seed mixes...but now he no longer does seed sells. sooo, he has this old grass seed mixer. what it is, is a steel 55 gal drum mounted on an axis with a crank, flip open lid and what not. (I made a pic in paint that I'll post)

so basically I wanna know whether or not I can make this into a compost tumbler and what modifications I need to make???

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say......

here's the pic......hope you can understand it....
[img]https://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy25/Ridiculous02/possiblecomposttumbler.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think it would work, but compost is a lot heavier than grass seed, because of it's moisture content. Is the mixer sturdy enough to take the weight? Also, compost tumblers usually have some kind of vanes in the interior of the drum to "stir" the compost as it's turned, so the stuff doesn't just flop around in one big lump. Does your mixer have anything like that?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

One of our members posted a DIY tumbler last year or the year before, with photos. It was an absolutely incredible construction: looked industrial strength, but was said to be quite easy to turn.

You use "Search the Forum" and I'll use "Search the Forum," and maybe others will, too. Someone will find it!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

and here it is:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98204

be sure to read the whole thread--there's a lot of additional info further down the page. But it is just beautiful as to function and workmanship.

Cynthia

Ridiculous

Kisal wrote:I think it would work, but compost is a lot heavier than grass seed, because of it's moisture content. Is the mixer sturdy enough to take the weight? Also, compost tumblers usually have some kind of vanes in the interior of the drum to "stir" the compost as it's turned, so the stuff doesn't just flop around in one big lump. Does your mixer have anything like that?
this thing would deffinately take the weight. it's all steel construction and on either end it has two greasable bearings. very sturdy!

and no it doesn't have anything to stir the compost as of now, but I was thinking I'd add something because I'd have to drill holes in it as well for air flow.

oh and in the picture it's yellow, well that is the case in real life too! would I benefit any if I painted it black or some dark color to help absorb heat and light??? and another question, is compost (other that being moist) corrosive?? if it is, then I'll have to put a thick coat of paint or something on the inside of the drum to prevent rusting. cause it's all bare steel at the moment..

Ridiculous

cynthia, that's a very nice tuturiol! if I just can't make this one I got now work, then that will be what I would build. and I've already got a 55 gal plastic drum sittin in the weeds anyway...hmmmm...maybe I'll make two tumblers 8)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ridiculous wrote:
and no it doesn't have anything to stir the compost as of now, but I was thinking I'd add something because I'd have to drill holes in it as well for air flow.

oh and in the picture it's yellow, well that is the case in real life too! would I benefit any if I painted it black or some dark color to help absorb heat and light??? and another question, is compost (other that being moist) corrosive?? if it is, then I'll have to put a thick coat of paint or something on the inside of the drum to prevent rusting. cause it's all bare steel at the moment..
Yes definitely need lots of air holes. The people that have written in here with problems with their compost tumblers, it generally seems to be due to lack of ventilation. And then I presume you'd need to put screen over the air holes to prevent the compost (and pre-compost!) from falling out.

And yes, it would need to be painted inside and out. The heat absorbing black would be good and compost only works if it is moist, so your bare metal would rust..

Amazing how a simple project can turn complicated on you, when you get into the nitty gritty.

But two composters would be good, because once you get in to tumblers, you are sort of committing yourself to batch composting. You need to fill it with stuff and then stop adding anything while you tumble it for awhile until it is finished. My pile I just keep adding stuff, but with the tumbler you are mixing the new and old stuff together all the time, so if you keep adding you would never be able to get the finished compost out separately. So if you have two one can be filling while the other tumbles. Then when the tumbling one is finished, empty it and then they reverse roles.

Ridiculous

rainbowgardener wrote:
Ridiculous wrote:

Yes definitely need lots of air holes. The people that have written in here with problems with their compost tumblers, it generally seems to be due to lack of ventilation. And then I presume you'd need to put screen over the air holes to prevent the compost (and pre-compost!) from falling out.

And yes, it would need to be painted inside and out. The heat absorbing black would be good and compost only works if it is moist, so your bare metal would rust..

Amazing how a simple project can turn complicated on you, when you get into the nitty gritty.

But two composters would be good, because once you get in to tumblers, you are sort of committing yourself to batch composting. You need to fill it with stuff and then stop adding anything while you tumble it for awhile until it is finished. My pile I just keep adding stuff, but with the tumbler you are mixing the new and old stuff together all the time, so if you keep adding you would never be able to get the finished compost out separately. So if you have two one can be filling while the other tumbles. Then when the tumbling one is finished, empty it and then they reverse roles.

thanks for the great reply!! I kinda figured it would need to be painted, just wanted reassurance :wink:

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply...you answered all of my questions!!

if we had a rep system...I'd 'rep' you :lol:

Return to “Composting Forum”