dogdays
Newly Registered

Kitchen Material Collection

Newbie here -
I searched out the topic but really didn't find any answer that suited me...

I am wondering how people collect all the compostable materials for the day from the kitchen and or household activities before making a trip to the compost pile or tumbler (or whatever means you use).

Additionally - Can filter papers (both white and brown) from a coffee maker just be deposited in the composter? I personally don't use a filter, but many of my friends are willing to collect scraps for me, and this seemed like a reasonable question to me. My guts says the more the merrier.

Thanks - and GREAT FORUM.

Toil
Greener Thumb

If both of my bokashi buckets are full, I have a little bin I keep in the freezer. Freezing and thawing helps thing break down, and if using an indoor worm bin, keeps fruit flies out.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For a long time we used kitty litter that came in plastic buckets (I think about 2 gallon size) with tight fitting lids. We saved all those because they are handing around the garden for lots of things. But one thing is the are just the right size to fit under the kitchen sink. So I always have two under there, one with a lid for compost and one without for recycling glass and plastic.

We do throw all the coffee grounds with the filters in there as well as tea bags, used paper towels, and all the kitchen scraps. A lot of times the coffee filters are starting to break down before they ever make it to the compost pile ... and the stuff in the bucket sometimes heats up pretty good too! :)

Having the 2 gallon bucket means I don't have to trek out to the compost pile but once a week most of the time (and since the lid fits tightly, it doesn't matter if it gets a little stinky). If it's really bitter cold when the bucket gets full, I set it out on the screen porch where critters can't get it and get a fresh one.

Welcome to the forum... I can already tell you are going to fit in well around here... we LOVE compost (check out the whole Compost Forum).

Halfway
Green Thumb

Ditto on using the plastic coffee containers. I notice the large folgers cans are very handy. They will start cooking and sliming if you don't empty them in a timely manner.

We also chop the waste before adding it to the container. Celery, potatoes, orange peels, banana peels etc will start cooking before they reach the compost heap especially with some tea or coffee grounds!!!

We even toss in the occasional paper towel.

nes
Green Thumb

because DH isn't big on composting (or recycling - don't get me started... he's lucky he has me to balance him out!!) I keep it on our washing machine (in our kitchen) in a plastic garbage can (with a top) inside a paper bag. Then it's super easy to grab the bag and take the whole thing out to the compost every day & I don't have to listen to whining about it "smelling"

rot
Greener Thumb

We have a pair of ceramic cookie jars. They hold about 3 quarts to a gallon.

Usually take the first one out once a week and start using the second one. We'll wash the first one and let it dry out for a week. Repeat as necessary.

A paper towel on the bottom keeps stuff from sticking there.

Coffee filters rot just fine in the compost pile or bin. Better if they're covered.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome back, Vanessa, and congratulations on the birth of your little Christmas baby!! :)

SkyKero
Cool Member

I ended up getting a couple of the 2-3gallon white buckets from THD and gave on to my parents to fill lid closes well enough .. and I go pick it up once a week.

In my house I use a smaller plastic container with a lid and it works well -- I haven't had any smell issues -- I usually take it out once a week.

Another friend brings me her stuff in a couple of plastic containers she keeps in her fridge -- but she come less often so that way the keep, I guess -- she hasn't had any issues either.

GardenMann
Newly Registered

I don't mind running out to our compost bin any other time than in the winter when the snow is 2 feet deep or it's 20 below, so we just keep a garbage can outside the back door.

When I am out in the yard for any reason I will take the container out behind the garage where the compost bin is and dump it in until spring mix-up time.

Because it's so cold here in the winter the kitchen waste freezes quickly so there is no smell or animals sniffing around.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I keep mine in a oblong Tupperware bowl in the fridge.

For those of you putting it under the sink with a lid is there any smell, does it get real nasty under there since it's warmer. I know mine get's nasty sometimes and it's in the fridge.

The reason I'm asking is because I been wanting to get a bigger container like maybe a kitty litter bucket like Rainbow said. I have a bunch of 5 gallon buckets and lids as well but that might be too much. I don't take it out until it's full so a larger unit would be great.

As far as coffee filters and coffee, I have a little game of sorts, when I'm done with the filter I go to the back door (on the second story in the back) Than chuck it into the garden hitting different spots at times or straight into the compost. It's a little far away but not too far too chuck a still wet filter.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There's no smell as long as the lid is on tight. In warmer weather, it sometimes gets pretty smelly to open the lid. I just open it a little ways, chuck stuff in and close it up again quickly :) . (Or I take it as my signal that it is time to trek it out to the compost pile.)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Beck and I use a lock-top container we keep in the fridge. No smell. I empty it out twice a week or so.

Easy. And we had everything already...

HG

Return to “Composting Forum”