elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

Variegated Ginger as compost?

We had a rather hard cold snap down here in New Orleans and all my ginger plants got frozen so I cut everything back to the ground. Would these clippings be good material in a compost heap or is there something about ginger that would be bad for composting? I would assume it is fine but I would rather not add it to the pile without knowing.

thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't see why you wouldn't. Is there something particular you are concerned about with the ginger, why you worried about this? Spicy is definitely fine in your compost pile.

rot
Greener Thumb

I'm sure you can't engineer a major disaster if you follow the ten percent rule.

I doubt you could engineer a major disaster. It will all rot sooner or later.

The more diverse the ingredients the better.

Knock yourself out.

to sense

elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

rainbowgardener wrote:Don't see why you wouldn't. Is there something particular you are concerned about with the ginger, why you worried about this? Spicy is definitely fine in your compost pile.
Well ginger is kinda pungent and I didn't know if it would have some effect on soil quality if used in a rather large quantity. Generally don't use it since it is also quite fiberous in the stems. I usually just use my leafy vegetation and table scrap fruits in the compost. I'll go with rot's plan and just use enough of it and throw the rest to the curb since I don't have a large enough compost bin for it all.

I'll give it a try and if nothing grows as a result I'll know not to do it again.

joshbuchan

well useing rhubarb leaves in a compost is fine, so I am use it will make light work of your ginger leaves.

I would of chucked them all in with somthing brown.

Return to “Composting Forum”