Toil
Greener Thumb

The A-word: Anaerobic!

Ok, can I put this in the compost section?

Anyone else doing the bokashi thing? Ensilage? That which we call fermentation by any other name but would smell as sour?

I use commercially made bins, as they look nicer in the kitchen. I brew EM from a mother culture, use that to ferment some wheat bran from agway, and turn all my trash into cash. Well, not cash, really. More like pickles.

Since adopting this practice, I have reduced my trash quite a bit. The weekly trash pickup is now every three weeks. We had a worm bin and an outdoor pile already, but now we have a place for meat, cheese, spiced or oily foods, salty foods, and all that good stuff that doesn't need to be in the waste stream but isn't fit for the worms or pile. Actually the pile no longer gets anything from the kitchen. That stays inside until it is wormcastings. So this would work in an apartment.

applestar
Mod

I started an EM thread [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21051&highlight=]here[/url] in the Permaculture forum. I'd love to hear about your experiences. 8)

Return to “Composting Forum”