ThaiChili
Newly Registered

using a lawnmower to mulch plants?

This might be the most silliest of questions :oops: Can I use my lawnmower to mulch dead plants from my garden? We use it to mulch the grass when we cut the grass. I don't have a chipper and I really want to use all the dead plants from my previous garden for my compost.
Thanks!

ThaiChili

rot
Greener Thumb

I'll compost anything that's been through a lawn mower.

I will rake leaves onto the lawn before I mow so it gets chopped up and mixed with the grass clippings. I like to prune the plants before I mow throwing the prunings on the lawn to be sucked up by the mower.

I've cut back on that some because I'm trying to grass cycle more and I finally got a used chipper off of craigslist.

Be careful about long fibrous stalks like palm fronds and those elephant ear type plants. While that stuff is green the mower won't hack it too well and they can start wrapping themselves around the rotor holding the mower blade. I will let that stuff dry out and desiccate in the sun for some time or I will just mulch them around a small stand of trees I planted way out back in a tight little corner. They make a great weed block.

to sense

Return to “Composting Forum”