joshbuchan

will my compost start working in this cold?

yesterday I dug out my chickens run and and empteyed all the slush and poop into a pallet compost bin a made, to bacisly what I want to know will it be compost by spring/summer, it should compost very hot but I dnt know if it will start to compost intil its warmer... do I need to do anything.. if sombody can send me on the right path it would be great, thanks.

Josh

Toil
Greener Thumb

man that really depends on factors you haven't told us about, but in general compost is never ready as fast as you need it. It seems like a law.

If you are doing the bokashi thing, you might try fermenting everything with bokashi bran in sealed trash bags, then composting it. I've never tried it, but I've heard of it. My bokashi kitchen scraps make way more heat and become compost way faster than the same raw material.

it will for sure be ready by next spring.

rot
Greener Thumb

A similar question was asked elsewhere but I'm not sure I should be linking to other forums.

I'm in sunny so cal so I can't answer from experience.

The consensus seems to be that you can but you shouldn't expect it all to be done in time for spring. A couple of folks were of the opinion that you should plan to forgo that batch this spring and start setting yourself for a more sustainable schedule where you're mulching in fall and spring.

As far as keeping the current batch cooking goes, if you maintain the right mix of greens and browns and moisture it will keep going even underneath snow.

Some people suggested adding urine. They would collect it in jugs and add it to the bin. I've heard some folks believe it needs to be diluted in water. I apply directly myself. Another consideration on where to locate the bin.

If it should freeze over for whatever reason, it will start up again in spring.

to sense

joshbuchan

thank you very much for both your quick replys on my limited info.

I have stood up 4 pallets and screwed them to gether in a square, then just pilled up the top layer of the chicken run inside (there should be loads of urine inthere) (but I will add some more :D blood temp should do) then I added some straw, wood shavings and poop from there hutch and mixed in. thats it. I am in zone 9 and everything is under a good cupple inch's of snow right now.

I have just put about 20 tea bags and a load of kitchen waist in there and mixed it in, it has not froze yet so we will just have to see I spose.

I do have anouth one going that I started in summer and thats cooking very nicly, with lots of worms and insect life inside, but thats in a black compost bin with no bottem.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

agree with above. I've never been able to keep my compost cooking through the winter (though mine doesn't have any manure in it, just kitchen scraps, weeds, leaves, etc, which probably makes a big difference, yours should run hotter). But I keep adding stuff to the frozen pile all winter, which just freezes on top. But as soon as the weather warms, everything thaws out and starts working again. And by spring I will have a layer of finished compost at the bottom of the pile, even though it spent much of the winter frozen.

txglennross
Newly Registered

I've been composting for 7-8 years and I'm guessing that the more nitrogen you have in your compost, the better it will heat up in the winter. Here in zone 8b, I compost ground up Xmas trees in January. Since it's all green, it heats up nicely and continues to stay warm for several weeks. If you have a lot of brown material, you probably won't get as much, if any heat.

Of course, if you're trying to compost in Minnesota (especially this week) your mileage may vary. :D

(BTW, just found this forum this morning via Twitter.) I'm very impressed and will be back often.

Toil
Greener Thumb

I think if you overdo the nitrogen it just goes sour so be careful.

is there a way you could add insulation to those pallets?

joshbuchan

I was thinking the same thing about all the open air flow, I know u need some but I think I might have to much, I can stuff stuff down the middles of them as they are hole, I can get hold of ofcuts of thick roofing insolashion which I think would do very well, and one side has a shiney layer so should put up with the composting and will not compost its self.

could I chuck the christmas tree in there? my dad will want the trunk for his wood burner but will the branches go in.

Toil
Greener Thumb

I don't know about pine needles... I think they take a very long time. when my dad showed me composting he never put them in so neither do I.

there is such a thing as a compost blanket. does roofing insulation breathe? you want it to breathe, I was just thinking if you conserve some heat things will be faster.

if you are willing to do some fermenting though, bokashi will send that compost into overdrive, even if you just throw the bran in the pile.

rot
Greener Thumb

You said you were using pallets screwed together. If it looks like what I'm thinking then if you are compelled to wrap or insulate, do it on the outside part of the pallets and that trapped air between the inside and the outside of the pallets should be adequate for your air flow needs. It's not going anywhere fast anyways through the winter.

As far as the Christmas tree goes, if you follow the ten percent rule, you shouldn't have any problems. It will break down slow. It will be a nice balance if you start adding a lot of greens to heat things up through out the winter.

to sense

joshbuchan

ok thanks for your grade repleys, yes u are thinking right, as just 4 pallets standing up..

I am going to look into this compost blanket, if I could get a cupple I can use felt nails and just nail it to the out side made a top for it aswell nail it to that. then there will be a air gab going all around the sides.

cheers!

rot
Greener Thumb

I use roofing nails, maybe the same thing as your felt nails, to nail window screen to my pallet bins.

Cheers to sense

joshbuchan

felt nails are just small nails with wide flat heads so that when nailed in water will not get in and it will not rip the felt.

Toil
Greener Thumb

polyester felt? pretty cheap at the craft store. I made my worm bin out of it. double it over maybe? or how about those reusable emergency blankets they sell at wal mart?

I think the compost blankets are meant for a pile, and might be a bit expensive. I don't have one, I've just heard about it somewhere else, in reference to something called Loebke (spelling? Luebke?) composting.

Tater
Cool Member

Black plastic secured to the top?cheaper than commercially sold blankets perhaps? Air could flow thru the sides and up to the plastic creating a greenhouse effect(that sounds bad) heating the internal components? probably would have to turn more often. my .02 tate

rot
Greener Thumb

Yeah short nails with wide heads. I'm thinking what you're thinking.

Scrounge what you can. No sense on spending oodles of money on compost.

Onward.

to sense

Return to “Composting Forum”