cbur66
Newly Registered

composting in the winter

I live in the midwest and have an enclosed composter with red wrigglers. It is sitting outside. Does anyone think the worms will survive the winter? I am worried that it will get to cold for them.

joshbuchan

I have been reading about keep red worms, u need to put them in somthing like a garge in the winter so they dnt die.

huskie

I'd cover the pile with straw and then a clear plastic tarp of some sort.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Pile needs to breathe; plastic is out...

Getting some of them inside and started there will allow for repopulation in the spring. [url=https://www.franklincountywastedistrict.org/vermicomposting.html]Vermicomposting indoors[/url]takes a little learning curve, but you can do it in a garage, barely heated barn, breezeway, back room, etc. etc.

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OP didn't say compost pile, josh said enclosed composter, I'm presuming something on the order of this:

[url=https://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=371869&pid=_Froogle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=764576]composter[/url]

That made it a question I couldn't answer, because I haven't used one. I would think it depends partly on whether it has a bottom and whether it sits on the ground. Some composters (particularly tumblers) are totally up off the ground. I would think those would be more susceptible to freezing solid (bye-bye worms!). Although even then, it depends on if you can keep your compost running hot enough not to freeze.

If the composter doesn't have a bottom and sits on the ground, then it's just an enclosed pile. Like with a regular pile, the worms can burrow into the ground and will be fine.

applestar
Mod

If you have the room, one idea might be to pile strawbales all around it and on the top. That's what I do with my spare strawbales (and loose flakes of straw), when I have them. I suppose a layer of big cardboards sandwiched in between might help block the cold drafts a bit too.

huskie

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Pile needs to breathe; plastic is out...

HG
Really? Guess all the winter compost I have been making over past 15 years is just an illusion?

:roll:

Bloody Boots

cbur66 wrote: Does anyone think the worms will survive the winter? I am worried that it will get to cold for them.
Will they survive? Certainly, the question is where.

If it is open floored, they will burrow into the ground and go dormant until spring. Most will survive, some will die, but come spring some will scatter off in search of better environments.

If it fully enclosed, then you need to move them somewhere warmer to protect them. Depending on how far north you're talking you may have to move them inside if not just protected from winds.

For example, tonight it's expected to drop below zero for most of Wisconsin and Minnesota, and that will freeze most worms who can't burrow down to warmer weather.

So good luck and hope you can keep most of them going until spring!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Huskie, if you seal the decomposing matter away from air, by definition you are no longer composting, you have started anaerobic digestion. Properly managed this can be a valuable tool bringing a whole different set of biologies into play, but it is a finer balancing act to avoid contamination by organisms that can be both plant or animal pathogens, which is why I don't normally recommend anaerobic digestion...

The clear plastic cover can be a tool in composting, especially in winter, as long as air sourcing remains constant and plentiful. I just wanted to draw out the specifics though, as a sheet of plastic, covered with snow or pegged tightly down is inviting anaerobic conditions for a longish term, and this can lead to very bad results. I am happy to hear it has worked for you, but still want to warn folks about possible pitfalls... perhaps you might elaborate on your technique?

The worms need warmth and shut down a lot below 50 degrees and completely below 40. Best to move them in...

HG

Return to “Composting Forum”