my_secret_garden
Cool Member

How Exactly Do You Make a Compost Pile?

I am all for organic gardening and would like to know about making a compost pile. My mom and I were talking tonight and she told me that she used to have one for her garden and told me that I should try it... but I have no idea how to even make one, what to make it out of, where to put it, what to DO with it, etc. Anyone care to share about their compost piles or offer some advice? Any information would be great. :) Thanks!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Oh, making a compost pile is plain simple. I like to start by digging a hole in the ground to start the pile in (easier for the worms to get at the pile at first). Then, I lay down a layer of what are termed GREENS that are things like grass clippings, kitchen wastes (surprisingly enough even eggshells are greens), weeds, manure and so on. After that goes a layer of BROWNS that can be black and white newspaper, leaves, wood chips and so on.

So, just layer things up. This time of year you have to scrounge around for leaves so, in the fall, I like to rake up piles of leaves and it's actually best to run over the leaves with the lawn mower first. Anyway, then you won't be scrounging in the summer.

If you use newspaper as a brown, be sure to cut it into long strips. And don't use colour articles that contain dioxins which are harmful to plants (and people). I personally prefer to use leaves (even when I had to scrounge for them) because leaves contain nutrients other than carbon and nitrogen that newspaper contains.

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Where do you have your compost pile at in reguards to your yard? Isn't it an eyesore? And then what in the world do I do with it once I have one? Sorry for so many questions but as you know, I'm a total newbie. :) Bear with me!

Grey
Greener Thumb

I have mine in the back corner of my yard, behind the in-law suite. Mine is still a poorly designed one-big-bin thing - my back was really bad at the time, and it was all I could build. It doesn't even open up - I just had to put the leaves in it in the Fall to put them SOMEWHERE.

Your best bet is a 3-bin system. One for the new stuff, one to turn the new stuff into as it decomposes, and one for the stuff that's about ready to use. :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Oh yes, the three bin system is the cadillac of composting systems. Lots of designs for those out in the net. Just google "3 bin compost system" and you'll get a plethora of sites.

My one compost system that is at my house is actually in the front on the far side of the bed that is infront of my house. That one just recieves the miniscule amount of grass clippings from my tiny lawn as well as weeds from the front.

A well turned compost pile doesn't have to be an eyesore. Though, generally people have them in the back of the property somewhere.

garden_mom

We went to Manhattan and Brooklyn Heights last year for a visit, an when you walk down the streets in Brooklyn Height you will see compost next to the trees in front of the Brownstones! They were using what appeared to be rabbit fencing, cut and made into a circle (which, ironically, is how I make my tomatoe cages), and they were about two feet high and two feet around. They were not at all an eyesore (probably because they are so small), and of course there was no smell. I wish I had taken a picture, I would post it!
Anyway, some people do make a bigger version of those compost 'bins', and when they need to turn the compost, they lift up the cage, set it down in a new place, and turn the compost back into the cage. This is for medium to small piles, of course.

Return to “Composting Forum”