joshbuchan

I want to make a wormary

I want to make a wormary, one that I can put chicken poo in the top and liquid wirm poo comes out the bottem, I got a big green water barrwl that we dnt realy use no more so do I just shuve the chicken poo in the to the bottem or would I have to make a mesh screen to go like a ft of the bottem so it can fill up with the liquid or what? some help would be apreshated.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Worm composting is used to digest kitchen scraps. They can't deal with manure.

Here's an article about vermicomposting:

https://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/Vermicompost107.shtml

You will notice down near the bottom in the don'ts section:

**Don't mix fresh cow, horse and especially chicken manure into your bedding. These manures will heat up the bedding and literally cook your worms.

If you composted the chicken manure first you could probably add some with your kitchen scraps.

joshbuchan

thank you very much! that would of been a disaster. I do have 3 compost bins that a fill with the stuff! I dnt know if I would have anouth kitchen waste to feed them... alot goes to the chickens.

I will defontly read the artical u gave me.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In that same article when talking about what kinds of kitchen scraps you can give your worms, it mentions coffee grounds. If you read around in this Compost Forum (besides lots more about vermicomposting), many people have mentioned getting coffee grounds from places like Starbucks or even gas stations that serve coffee. So you should be able to pretty easily have all the coffee grounds your worms could eat. I don't know if they could live on coffee grounds alone (I have a mental picture of highly caffeinated worms zipping around the bin speedily! :) ) but it would supplement your kitchen scraps.

joshbuchan

woh that artical was great!! thank you so much! I am going to start colecting industreyal cardborad right away! theres skips full of the stuff were I am working at the momet. if they will live on coffee, tea bags, cardboard and other stuff I will not feed my chickens then everything should be sound.

joshbuchan

so I have to use red worms, were do I get theys from?
or are the European Night Crawler better in anyway? can I get any of theys worms in the UK cuz I can only see them being sold in the US...
if u cant get them then what would I use unstead please? I got some big fattys in the garden but I dnt realy wana be digging for them as its cold and will not me many around.

joshbuchan

any help on were I could get my hands on some composting worms in the uk would be great?

Halfway
Green Thumb

joshbuchan wrote:any help on were I could get my hands on some composting worms in the uk would be great?
do a google search. There has to be at least 2 dozen that showed up on a simple search. try "compost worms UK", red wigglers UK" etc.

joshbuchan

yeah I found some on composting worms, but its like ...£35 a pound..... thats abit pricey I think. I am trying to find sombody with a wormy that would sell me a cupple like 200 or somthing.

muddy45

I keep hearing that you can't use fresh manure or chicken manure in worm bins,,but that is a bunch of bull!!
The trick is to put the worms in aged compost to start them,,when the worms have adjusted to that bedding,,then you layer manure and straw over the top of them,,never bury it down in to the compost,,YOU HAVE TO LAYER IT ON TOP,,NEVER BURY IT.
the worms will miagrate up when the heating is over,,do this in thin layers,,I do this all the time,year in and year out for ten years.
if yiou want to add any kitchen scraps or any thing,,put it under the straw,don't bury it,let the worms bury it.
this will work in those little plastic tote boxes,,but don't bury it.
I perfer my tractor tires out in the garden area.
good luck
Larry

Tater
Cool Member

In Ga we just go to the dairies to find worms. Dig down in moderatley wet poop and can find tons of worms. Any highly pooped on scenario will work.
tater

muddy45

need I say more!
Larry

Return to “Composting Forum”