wolfie

White worm looking things in compost, good or bad?

When I went out to turn my compost yesterday, there were earthworms, but there were also these white looking worms. they were not moving like the earthworms, more like curled up in a half circle kinda shape... any ideas if these are good or bad? Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

These were white and shorter and thicker than earthworms? They are grubs and are bad guys, make dead patches in your lawn. I find them occasionally in my compost pile too, just one every once in awhile. I usually just toss them on to the concrete patio where they bake in the sun and become treats for whatever bird or raccoon wanders by. They disappear quickly. They like to burrow into the ground and can't do that on the concrete, so they just hang around and get eaten.

Maximavswife
Newly Registered

Could they be maggots?

Kath

wolfie

no, I think they are what he said, grubs... my only problem is I put em back in the pile, so next time I turn I will pull em out and let them die on the concrete lol

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Hey Wolfie!

He is a she, I think. >:D

Time for me to make snacks too.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Sage Hermit, you are right! :)

Maggots would be tinier, not thick, don't curl up in circles like that, and would be very active, vs the grubs that mostly hold still. And if you have maggots you usually have TONS of them.

Scarecrow

rainbowgardener wrote:These were white and shorter and thicker than earthworms? They are grubs and are bad guys, make dead patches in your lawn. I find them occasionally in my compost pile too, just one every once in awhile. I usually just toss them on to the concrete patio where they bake in the sun and become treats for whatever bird or raccoon wanders by. They disappear quickly. They like to burrow into the ground and can't do that on the concrete, so they just hang around and get eaten.
This is an old post while searching the fourm.
I have these "grub" looking worms in my compost bin but they are not "C" shaped but rather straight. When I move one around it plays possum then tries to dig back in.

Do I need to take them out of my compost bin?

EDIT to add photos:

[url=https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p_Ly0a_lr8-kwCZSoLSaQtKwzRLaiLwJqC2jlA73nIcP50ZFi0AgD8yN-8Hb0CMjyUw0Zt9gIUaKFzUYihP40Kg/Grubs-1_DSC4552.jpg?psid=1]Grubs-1[/url]

[url=https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pAsb3IklbUsp1daZwQQ1jUyNn-pNfCUdrlHzKqgeOzgzvC0zK22r4yU1VfMAQI_3pOm5Rb0cP77ki3EF42b1fVw/Grubs-2_DSC4553.jpg?psid=1]Grubs-2[/url]

[url=https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pAsb3IklbUsoaEt-EmQ57EaMVPRo_L4YRYCJAP6CHp6ulgqIwt1YBNtHy04N_r0FVcTi0dsnGiXUV-6935Usf0Q/Grubs-3-UpsideDown_DSC4554.jpg?psid=1]Grubs-3 Laying upside down[/url]

ccar2000
Cool Member

Chickens love the grubs, Hornworms too! If you have room for them chickens are bigtime compost helpers.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Scarecrow - I find a few of those in my compost too. I don't know what they are either, but I don't think they are grubs, I.e. larvae. I'm guessing that these are pupae/ cocoons of something. Anyway I don't have tons of them, so I haven't worried about it.

Scarecrow

I don't have tons of them either. I see them after I turn my tumbler.

I found a picture like them on google images but the web page is infected with a virus according to google.

Interesting that they quit or seem to die after they finished and then came back when I added more greens and browns. I noticed yesterday that the bin is pretty wet due to several days of pop up rain showers. It doesn't smell other than the nice earthly smell.

I'll not worry about them then.

Thanks EG!

Return to “Composting Forum”