Halfway
Green Thumb

Toil wrote:I know I'm always touting acid fermentation but...

Since it rots so hot, fermented material would be perfect for keeping a pile hot all winter. You could build up a supply and mete it out over cold month. Basically it's small scale ensilage to feed a pile instead of a herd of cattle.
Please expand upon this.

Toil
Greener Thumb

I think wiki has an article on ensilage. What I do is called bokashi, maybe check the anaerobic thread here and the permaculture bokashi thread.

It is acid fermentation by facultative anaerobes like lactobacilii. For one, it preserves matter. Just like sauerkraut. Literally like kraut. But then when exposed to air and soil or compost, it cooks like manure. I discovered this when first feeding it to worms in a small bin and seeing them in a circle at the surface. Not avoiding the bokashi, pH around 3.5, just avoiding the center. It was cooking! It never did that with fresh scraps.

So I figure it will preserve you yard waste or barley or whatever until you want to use it, but still be pre digested to cook fast. You could use sealed bags kept indoors or build a little silo? I'm sure you could think of something. Just needs to have very low oxygen an not freeze too hard.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Very cool Toil. Fascinating from what I am reading.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Finally convinced the missus that we will be composting our pet waste ( :!: ), and we will likely use lactic acid fermentation (my sourdough starter need a regular refresh and you throw some out; had been going in regular compost but as soon as the ground thaws I'm digging the pit).

YEAH!

ANd I think these high nitrogen inputs in a 4' hole in the ground with effective microbes like Lactobacillus (yep, my sourdough starter is exactly what toil has been talking about) should keep cooking through the cold...

HG

Toil
Greener Thumb

Awesome hg! Welcome to the facultative dark side. Will you be extending your sourdough?

Anyone withou sourdough who wants to stay diy, you can catch the little guys right out of the air. If I'm not mistaken, that's how sourdough starter get ruined. So that's kinda what hg is doing. I have an article I can pass on describing the Diy process.

I actually ingest the stuff. If you brew from molasses it is sweet and sour and very bright tasting with a crisp finish.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Way off topic here but I remember seeing a show somewhere that was saying a good ball of sourdough starter can be very old wanna say 20 yrs old even more maybe can't remember exactly. How cool is that. 8)

I really want to say like 40 yrs+- but I won't, oh wait I just did. :lol:

Toil
Greener Thumb

In France they have starters passed from generation to generation. Many were lost during industrialization an homogenization. But the practice I returning now.

Imagine moving somewhere for the local yeast and bacteria?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I will start a sourdough post on Everything Else...

HG

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Please tell me that your sourdough starter is NOT made from dog poo, as you seemed to be saying upthread a couple of posts....

Cynthia H.
(I got some *bread* starter to 3 years old before we both got sick...)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Umm... in a word...

What? Have you lost your mind woman :?: :!: :lol:

No, other way around.

I was trying to save us this (the other sourdough conversation is proofing here) but the lactobacillus in the sourdough makes for a fine culture to start digesting the doo-doo. As you usually throw out half of a starter when you maintenance feed (for if you do not, the estimates I have seen say you will be feeding a swimming pool sized batch by the end of a few months) it seems sad to waste it. I have been baking a lot instead, but the wife is about fed up with the constant kitchen chaos, so I've shifted to maintenance feedings (plus my culture needs work; I am doing this myself instead of purchasing a starter, and the flavor is great but the rise is still a little lame).

It had been going to the kitchen scraps bin (mixed with water into a slurry and dumped on, a practice likely to continue), but now I have foodstock (eeeww :P ) more in need of facultative anaerobes, so there it will go. I will likely get some EM cultures as well, but suspect I could get by just on sourdough if I needed to. In the interests of kicking up the culture I added the "juice" from the feta cheese to the last feed and got a very nice doubling, despite low temps (in the mid-50's at night) which means the culture is getting right. I had started it with just the cultures from the wheat flour, which was too lame to bake with after a week, so I added a teaspoon of old yogurt. Better, but still not a great rise; I had to add yeast, so the purist angle was out and the flavor not as good.

So now the feta, which I will try soon; a bigger gas bubble already, although it is quieting down. Perhaps some kefir, or some Stoneyfield yogurt (the most cultures I know of) if I need to keep going. I will just keep adding lactobacillus strains until it does right. And by the way before you all run out and follow my lead, this is all mad scientist territory. I was warned on several sites about this leading to heartbreak and bad bread, but I persist, because I feel I am close. Should I get this up and running, then we will discuss this methodology that makes scientific sense to me but remains unproven, but for the moment, I walk alone where all men fear to tread.

In search of wild bread. That can double as poo goo :wink:

HG
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Finally above 30 for a few days and had a chance to spend more than a minute looking over the pile. The last several times I added it was below zero wind chill, LOL!

The core looks to have cooked and then frozen. I had a chance to air it out while turning it to the other bin. Long ways to go!!

I added several shovels full of snow to try and kick start it as it melts.

Any frozen piles starting to heat up out there?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

STILL an icy spot in the kitchen heap, but the big pile is loose and starting to cook. Too much moisture from the bread leavings I think just made for a ice core. Live and learn.

HG

Bloody Boots

It's been hitting forties up here during the day, Finally able to get into the core. Mine seems liked it cooked and then died out while the exterior just froze.

Hmm, compost with a frozen shell....here's a good joke in there somewhere.

Finally starting to get heat on all the winter add on though.

AND I CAN SEE THE GARDEN BEDS!!!!!!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

My pile was pretty frozen in some spots very thick. But that being said the pile in general did decompose quite a bit over the winter. I would say 40-50% maybe more. I broke it apart and threw the majority of it on my new bed, there was a LOT more than I thought I had. The end result looks lovely mostly broken down yet some hay and whatever still in there for future breakdown. I think it will be a decent bed considering it's only a week old.

Return to “Composting Forum”