RainyPNW
Newly Registered

How about this composter - anyone use one or have opinions?

I decided to start a new topic on this, as I've been 'convinced' :) to
get away from bag compost and at least make an effort to make my own.
It has "wife appeal" (no big mess), seems to have good reviews on
Amazon, isn't stupid-expensive, and by reports there produces 5 gallons
of good compost several times a year.... I have room for 2 of them if
this worked out.

But before I make the plunge, I'd love to hear pros and cons...

Here's the one I keep coming back to:

https://www.amazon.com/Envirocycle-Systems-Composter-Black/dp/B000FCNH76/

Thanks all,

Dave
RPNW

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Before you pay full price or even a commercially discounted price for anything, check with your county / city / solid-waste disposal company to see whether they offer subsidized compost bins.

Many municipalities / companies / etc. offer compost bins at approx. 50% or less of the retail price.

Good luck.

Cynthia

rot
Greener Thumb

A tumbler will mean you will be storing up stuff to load up all at once. Then you turn it for a couple of weeks and empty it out someplace. Maybe let it cure a little further before applying.

You'll need someplace to store things while you have your current batch turning. You may want another place to cure things.

If you're not going through huge quantities and might prefer a add as you low labor type routine you might consider an earth machine type bin open to the bare ground. You add to it on top and over time things reduce allowing to keep adding. after awhile you start pulling the finished stuff from a trap door on the bottom. You keep it open to the bare ground underneath and with luck the worms move in and go to town and then you get rich stuff and a greater capacity to digest organics.

For bin ideas and options check out:
https://www.compostinfo.com/

to sense

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

You can buy 3 ft and 4 ft fence wire in 50 ft rolls for $36. Cut it into 3 equal length pieces and it will make 3 circles about 5 ft diameter each. Fill them full with compost material, throw in some dirt and water too. When one gets full then fill up the next one and so on. When the first one is composted pull the wire circle away so you can move the compost material to where every you want it. This works good, it is cheap and easy.

RitaM
Newly Registered

Hello Fellow Gardeners,
Digging a trench in the ground and then filling it up with stuff like Grass-
cuttings,teabags,eggshells, leaves and cuttings from shrubs and trees,old Newspapers and then adding some Chickenmanure. then covering the trench with soil and watering it afterwards.
I found it to do wonders for my garden ,as it feeds the soil and improves drainage and increases earthworms as well. In a few weeks time the trench can be topped up with another layer.
there is no digging over of the compost in this case and you can plant on top of the trench.
I have found this to work perfectly well planting my vegetables. :D
From Ritam Moorreesburg C.T.

Return to “Composting Forum”