SkyKero
Cool Member

Leaves -- in brown bags to become moldy goodness

Several years ago I left a bag of leaves and pine straw out behind my house -- I did not water it or add dirt or anything -- but the yellow jackets made it their home.

If I keep the bag of leaves moist to make the leaf mold -- will the jackets still decide to make it their home -- I am allergic and would NOT like to welcome them into my garden.

Maybe in a while I will be the one answering questions instead of asking something new every day -- for me learning just makes me find out that I have more questions!!!

:shock:

S.

rot
Greener Thumb

I kind of want yellow jackets and kind of don't.

I know a nest of yellow jackets will clean up all the pests in the yard after a couple of weeks. I also know that after a couple of weeks they'll get mean.

Still, a pile a leaves in a bag? Maybe I can get one kept dry and another kept moist and see.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't know what to say... I had bags of leaves all last winter and spring and nothing ever decided to live in them. I was a little worried about mice deciding to take up residence, since they seemed like such a cozy spot. Maybe our three outdoor cats prevented that. The leaves were (and are again) in paper yard waste bags, which mice could easily chew through, but I would think wasps not so much. Do you keep your bags sealed up?

SkyKero
Cool Member

I didn't seal it up that time -- I just forgot about them -- then I decided to move them and got stung about 8 times -- boy it hurt!

I have decided to keep them (the leaves) in the garage -- and just used it in my newly made compost area during the year--

I was wanting to double up as the amount of leaves I have and can get is HUGE!! .. I already have 7 bags in my garage and will probably have another 10 soon just from my yard. And my best friend says he will have upwards of 30 when he gets his leaves rakes up. I wanted to put them to good use! :)

What I read about doing the "leaf mold" in the bags is that you make some holes to aerate, however, I think they will also allow the jacket to get in if they want.

S.

silver93350
Newly Registered

If you don't want bees to flock to them isn't there some kind of spray that you could spray on the bags to keep them away?

Surely there is something that you could put around them or near them that will keep them from making a new home there.

Return to “Composting Forum”