plantpotty
Newly Registered

Organic liquid fertilizer

Anyone tried to make a batch of liquid fertilizer? I tried using stinging nettles which is reputed to make a great tea, but this didn't seem to make much of a difference! I read that comfrey makes a great brew!?!

soil
Greener Thumb

how did you make your nettle tea? how did you apply it?

plantpotty
Newly Registered

Filled a bucket 1/3 full of nettles then filled the bucket with water. Left to ferment for a couple of weeks, stirred every day when I remembered. Then diluted 1/10 before pouring onto the soil!
Any suggestions..!

soil
Greener Thumb

sounds about right to me, you basically want to wait for it to stop fermenting before use. after it doesnt foam a lot after stirring( which you want to limit this is an anaerobic process) strain the plant material out to stop the fermentation process. then dilute like you did and apply. the only time I don't see an effect is either when the plant doesn't need what nettles provides( mainly Nitrogen, iron and magnesium, or the plant wants something else. one application only goes so far. the reap the benefits other than soluble nutrients a few applications is needed imo. one great benefit is built immune system of the plant ( I.e resistant to pest and disease more) it helps if you foliar spray it ( dilute 1:30) and apply once every 2 weeks.

Return to “Composting Forum”