builder0101
Cool Member

GOT WORMS?

I have a small stationary bin and the green material I had put in was mounded up I went to spread the pile around inside the bin and I discovered a biomass of red worms there must beliterally tens of thousands of them and this is a small bin. I don't mean some worms scattered throughout the compost. I mean "Bio mass" wierd and delightful. Wish I knew a fisherman. :shock:

builder0101
Cool Member

Yea it's good stuff. There are so many it is just unbelievable. They are going to reduce my compost to nothing but black gold. I guess they know where to go when it feezes. What should I feed them I.E. green compost? I do not produce much green material in the winter but they probably fly south for the winter anyway. Maby I'll take a picture of them. Does everyones compost turn into a worm farm?

Thanks,

Mike.

soil
Greener Thumb

when this happens to me, I split them and make a new bin. then I get double the waste reduction in a short amount of time. then split again when its full of wigglers! selling some to people for starting there own bin helps you and others.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

builder0101 wrote:Yea it's good stuff. There are so many it is just unbelievable. They are going to reduce my compost to nothing but black gold. I guess they know where to go when it feezes. What should I feed them I.E. green compost? I do not produce much green material in the winter but they probably fly south for the winter anyway. Maby I'll take a picture of them. Does everyones compost turn into a worm farm?

Thanks,

Mike.
I'm pretty sure they love coffee grounds. You have seen the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18171]vermicomposting thread[/url] haven't you? If not you should take a look. 8)

Return to “Composting Forum”