rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I too was out under the full moon stealing leaves! On my way to the grocery store and discovered that someone had about a dozen big yard waste bags full of leaves out at the curb. Not sure why since our city discontinued yard waste pickup, but there they were! Couldn't resist.

Of course, my car trunk and passenger seat happened to be full of boxes of books to take to the used book store. So three giant bags stuffed full of leaves, almost as tall as I am (not saying a lot :) ) got wrestled into the back seat of my two door car. I'm sure it would have been quite an amusing process to watch. Then my groceries ended up on the shelf under the rear windshield.

The things we do for love... I mean leaves.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Yesterday I topped off the bins that had shrunk, and I made three interesting discoveries:
  • One of my neighbors delivered his leaves in see-through bags. I think they might be those bio-degradable trash bags, but I'm not certain. Anyway, his leaves, collected two weeks ago, had already begun to seriously mold, unlike those in the one black bag I dumped in.

Next, because I'm out of green, I topped one of the piles with one of what I thought was my "failed" mini-composting experiments. With the exception of some pine shavings I added a few weeks back, the stuff was all composted! It worked.

Finally, it occurred to me that I don't know what to do with leaf mold. Do you just add it like you would compost?
Lazygirl, now that I know the ringleaders in the retirement community leaf collection, those whose houses had the piles in front of them, I think I'll ask next year. If they say no, I'll steal 'em anyway. Those are some seriously trash-free leaves! :twisted:

Ermintrude

The image of you folks rushing round grabbing bags of leaves has given me a good laugh.

Not doing very well in comparision, managed to sweep up a couple of bag fulls from the other side of the street.

Must say that the last lot of grass clipping which have a good % of leaves are rotting down very nicely.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Ermintrude wrote:The image of you folks rushing round grabbing bags of leaves has given me a good laugh.
Yeah me too, but I have truckloads of leaves not 3 min from my house. Of course I have to rake or shovel them up, but it's basically limitless for me.

If you all need any I will hook you up. 8)

By the way, those of you stealing leaves in the cover of darkness. I aint' down with that, I go out in morning with full sun. Really who's gonna mess with a psycho like me piling my truck full of leaves off the side of the road. :lol:

stella1751
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:By the way, those of you stealing leaves in the cover of darkness. I aint' down with that, I go out in morning with full sun. Really who's gonna mess with a psycho like me piling my truck full of leaves off the side of the road. :lol:
Gix, in the legal sense, we are not stealing. Once people set out their trash on public byways, it becomes the property of the public. Admittedly, my actions look deceptive, done under the cover of darkness. However, that's a courtesy. In a day and age of continual solicitation of our elderly by all kinds of unscrupulous parties, many of them, my mother included, dread answering the door to a stranger. By not pounding on their doors late at night, I probably spared the homeowners unnecessary stress.

In fact, I think we are performing a public service. The ones I took were almost in the middle of the street. What if some sweet elderly woman driver had leaned over to fix her makeup in the car mirror and swerved into all those leaves? Blinded by flying leaves, she could have panicked, ramming into someone's house, car, or riding lawn mower. Think about it. I probably deserve a medal for the role I played in Casper's fall clean-up.

I do hear you, though. Next year, now that I know where to get the goods, I will ask. If they refuse, I will know that they are hiding something, that they probably stashed something besides leaves in those bags, that they are probably eco-terrorists out to destroy the city's municipal compost maker. Again, I will feel I am doing a public service if I steal those leaves, which I will first dump heavily on the lawn of someone I dislike. If they don't explode, I will take them home :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Hold on now Stella, I'm not downing you at all. I'm an anarchist by all means.
I was not saying you are bad by doing what you are doing. You took me all wrong. I applaud you for it as a matter of fact. I was just making a joke about hiding in the shadows, where being the self proclaimed nutcase I am don't hide and do it front of everyone. No offense Stella sorry If I came off that way.

If only you knew all the stupid crazy stuff I do. :lol:

On your one post where you describing the "nights heist" I was loving every word of it. Actually jealous of the words you were saying. Seems some people don't like the words I sometimes use and was banned for a day, right after I told you I could be banned in that PM. I wanted to tell you that I would be happy to be your wheelman on that night of illgoten leaves, but was afarid I would get kicked off again.

We are good Stella forever and always. Peace! :flower:

stella1751
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Hold on now Stella, I'm not downing you at all. I'm an anarchist by all means.
I was not saying you are bad by doing what you are doing. You took me all wrong. I applaud you for it as a matter of fact. I was just making a joke about hiding in the shadows, where being the self proclaimed nutcase I am don't hide and do it front of everyone. No offense Stella sorry If I came off that way.
Sorry, Gix. I seriously thought you were questioning our (read: my) morality :oops: I had fun justifying the exercise, though, laughing while I wrote that I probably deserved a medal for stealing leaves, so we're good. Criminal acts are all about perception, I suppose. I steal leaves. I like stealing leaves and will probably continue to do so. When you get to be my age, you take your fun where you can get it.

However, I use the "hot" leaves to make compost for a garden that produces for the local church. Hey, I like that play on words. The leaves are already hot, so my compost should heat even more quickly than before. Shucks :D

Ermintrude

Well guys you have got me at it. Was down the street looking for piles of leaves. Did not fancy loading them up in the dark but will be out first thing tomorrow. Driving around I find myself spotting new sources.

I really hope that mixing them next year with grass clippings I will get much better compost.

Had a bit of a run in with contaminated manure this year so am looking for something else to feed to my beans.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Ermintrude wrote:Well guys you have got me at it. Was down the street looking for piles of leaves. Did not fancy loading them up in the dark but will be out first thing tomorrow. Driving around I find myself spotting new sources.

I really hope that mixing them next year with grass clippings I will get much better compost.

Had a bit of a run in with contaminated manure this year so am looking for something else to feed to my beans.
Welcome to the gang, Ermintrude! I had a run in this year with contaminated compost from the municipal compost site, so I am determined not to have to use any of its compost again. I think I got enough leaves to get me through the year, but as my compost piles continue to shrink during what is proving a warm November, I am starting to regret not having gotten all 30 bags :cry:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I hope I don't get any contaminated compost! But I think the way they are doing it here it should be good.

Welcome to the late "night early morning leaf gang" Ermintrude. This is the first time I had to look for leaves for my garden. Before where I lived I had so many in my yard it almost became a nuisance. :shock:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

"The Management neither condones nor decries the pernicious purloining of arboreal detritus, neither does it object or attest to the exchange of information leading to, or deriving from, any less than legal behavior on the part of any of the clinical kleptomaniacs that seem to congregate here. Indeed, the Management wants to make clear it's position, that it was blindfolded, with it's fingers in it's ears, making the NANANANANANANANA noise the entire time.

Honest.

The Management"

Y'all give a whole new spin on guerilla gardening... :roll: by hook or by crook, compost happens :lol:

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:"The Management neither condones nor decries the pernicious purloining of arboreal detritus, neither does it object or attest to the exchange of information leading to, or deriving from, any less than legal behavior on the part of any of the clinical kleptomaniacs that seem to congregate here. Indeed, the Management wants to make clear it's position, that it was blindfolded, with it's fingers in it's ears, making the NANANANANANANANA noise the entire time.

Honest.

The Management"

Y'all give a whole new spin on guerilla gardening... :roll: by hook or by crook, compost happens :lol:

HG
I think I can speak for the rest us by saying "We don't have any idea what you are talking about. We were at home drinking cocoa and playing with kids while watching TV"

Honest.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Kleptomania var. folium is becoming an addiction.... I was driving home from work after dark and happened to spot some more curbside bags of leaves. Couldn't stop myself from screeching my car to a halt on the wrong side of the road, leaping out, throwing a couple bags in my trunk, and zooming off again. I probably already had enough without these extra ones, for my small property, but you never know and next spring if I'm wishing I still had more fall leaves there won't be any around for the taking... :)

So I'm telling myself that I'm done now, I don't need to keep watching the roadsides for leaves, but I don't know if I can give up the thrill of the hunt!

LazyGirl
Cool Member

If I have urges to empty people's green bins for them or fantasize about raking up someone's leaves under the cover of darkness does that make me a Kleptomania var. folium? :D

If so, then who am I to pretend I am anything else? Everywhere I go now I see little piles of gold in the street and on lawns... and I really struggle to keep on my way to work and not scamper on their lawn to stuff leaves in my pockets. :lol:

Hello my name is Lazygirl, and I'm addicted to leaves. It all started a few months ago when I saw this post on the compost forum about leaf piles... Yes, I am a leafaholic.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

:lol:

HG

stella1751
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Kleptomania var. folium is becoming an addiction.... I was driving home from work after dark and happened to spot some more curbside bags of leaves. Couldn't stop myself from screeching my car to a halt on the wrong side of the road, leaping out, throwing a couple bags in my trunk, and zooming off again. I probably already had enough without these extra ones, for my small property, but you never know and next spring if I'm wishing I still had more fall leaves there won't be any around for the taking... :)

So I'm telling myself that I'm done now, I don't need to keep watching the roadsides for leaves, but I don't know if I can give up the thrill of the hunt!
LOL, Rainbow. HG and Lazygirl, too. I always laugh when I read a new posting on this thread.

Even though I have a huge pile of bagged leaves, I want more. I keep glancing across the street to my neighbor's house. He has a huge lawn, as yet unraked. He promised me his leaves. Will he rake? Will he not rake? Has he forgotten me? Or . . . is he just toying with me, sadistically enjoying the longing glances I keep casting in his direction? When I see him out and about, I quickly look away, acting casual and whistling a tuneless melody.

I want MORE leaves :x

applestar
Mod

I KNOW! I asked my neighbor for the contents of the decoration bag, and also gathered up his raked leaves from the street. Their in-laws saw me as they were driving away and the Grandmom was STARING at me out the car window the whole way, so I flashed her a big grin :()
There is a huge pile of leaves just as I enter my street but it's too far for wheelbarrow runs. Maybe I'll take my DH's pick up.... 8)

Kleptomania var. folium :lol: I see it's a *Pandemic*.
and HG :lol: and Gixx :lol: Hilarity all around! :-()
What a happy morning. :wink:

Ermintrude

It is sometimes said that the sense of humour is different either side of the Atlantic. But certainly not here amongst the leaf mould.

Rather than raking leaves from the lawn I use the mower - it picks up the leaves and gives them a good chop into the bargain. Much less work.

Saw someone out with a leaf blower, hope to go round and clear up the pile of leaves.

rot
Greener Thumb

Chop up leaves mixed with grass clippings - ka-ching.

I've spread leaves on the lawn before mowing just for that effect.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Smartest organic fella I know is [url=https://plantscapesorganics.com/]Mike Nadeau at Plantscapes[/url]who teaches for NOFA, and Mike stopped leaf removing and went to mowing/mulching on a lot of his properties, and years later he's still a fan; likened it to topdressing with compost. With a squirt of compost tea on top of it to get the ball rolling? Fuhgeddiboutit...
8)
:mrgreen:
HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Smartest organic fella I know is [url=https://plantscapesorganics.com/]Mike Nadeau at Plantscapes[/url]who teaches for NOFA, and Mike stopped leaf removing and went to mowing/mulching on a lot of his properties, and years later he's still a fan; likened it to topdressing with compost. With a squirt of compost tea on top of it to get the ball rolling? Fuhgeddiboutit...
8)
:mrgreen:
HG
Sounds like a smart guy. What I don't bag for garden purposes ends up on the lawn. I'm gonna do the ACT treatment this year on the lawn. I need to find one of those siphons for your faucet that suck it up out of the bucket and adds it incrementally.

applestar
Mod

When you get one, can you explain to me how it's supposed to work because I have one and have not been able to get it to work correctly. It seems like a simple enough device.... :?

vermontkingdom

What a joy to read about all these crazy folks out there collecting leaves! I have enough but all these postings created additional leaf envy. On my way to church yesterday I passed a house three streets down from us with a huge pile of bags on its lawn. A guy was raking so I asked if the leaves were available. Yes, indeed although he seemed a little surprised I would want them. It took four loads in my Neon to get those 38 bags to my backyard. By the way, much to wife's disapproval, I'm also able to get 22 five gal. buckets of horse manure in that little sucker.

SkyKero
Cool Member

I never thought I'd have manure envy :)

I am coveting the leaves in my mom's yard -- Next weekend...

S.

soil
Greener Thumb

woo hoo I was driving down the road and this guy had a HUGE pile of leaves. at least 8 ft tall. I asked what he was doing with them and he said burn pile!!!! I offered to save him the trouble and took it all. time to start a new leaf mold pile.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:When you get one, can you explain to me how it's supposed to work because I have one and have not been able to get it to work correctly. It seems like a simple enough device.... :?
I would think it is pressure driven, like a pump of sorts. All you should have to do is hook the siphon to your spicket than the siphon tube into a bucket. The flow of water should pull what is in the bucket out at a slow ratio. They would I assume have a back flow preventer on it to keep water from the hose going into the bucket. What brand is it is it? I would be happy to try and help you figure it out. :)

vermontkingdom I about peed my pants when I read the last sentence in your post.

soil it makes me happy to hear you saved a pile of leaves from the fire. It is illegal to burn leaves around here, though people, ignorant people still do. Burning leaves releases many gasses that are considered poisonous to carcinogens. I hate to see burning leaves. But love to see composting leaves. :D

soil
Greener Thumb

gixxer - here a controlled fire is better than a ton of dry leaves catching everything on fire come summer.

but yea, now its going to be nice leaf mold come spring.

kimbledawn

I'm losing my hair!! Well, maybe my mind. Trembling with this tiny eye tick. My children know what wrong....everytime we pass bags on the street they whisper, "Hey mom are you gonna get those? :roll: " You better get those!..

I think they like my madness. They love to see me screech to a halt, in high heels and a business suit and struggle to stuff bags of leaves in my car ! A car that already carries me and three children. The see me look longingly at the bags I have to leave behind and they laugh at me when I drive by the next day and those bags are gone....

I wonder?..Did the MAN get them? :shock: huh did he? I can only hope that some deranged leaf-o-maniac came behind me with a car full of kids or maybe a dog and carried the leaves I left behind to leaf heaven...

Hello my name is Dawn and although you may not know me...I'm one of you. :twisted:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Kimble the first step is admitting you have a problem. The next step is to affirm that problem by going out to get more.

I'm glad I could help. :lol:

stella1751
Greener Thumb

LOL, Dawn! I know how you feel. One of my biggest pre-theft fears was that I would encounter another organic gardener on my leaf-stealing spree. I got a vision of us tussling over bags and racing our engines as we jetted from leaf bag to leaf bag, trying to beat each other to the goods. Sort of like the Organic Gardener's version of Black Friday, for me the first Tuesday in November will now be Golden Tuesday.

Shhh. Don't tell anyone in Casper, Wyoming. I don't want to resort to violence, but I am prepared to do what is necessary to get my leaves :twisted:

soil
Greener Thumb

score today! was driving around and saw this guy raking leaves and bagging. I asked what he wanted with them. he said the dump.... so then I asked if I can have them. so he says come back when I'm done and there yours. so I stuffed as much as I could in the back.....26 bags :)

SkyKero
Cool Member

I have to say -- I started my compost pile (finally) -- last week!.. and the area designated is already mostly full.... plotting to clear off the ivy this week for the next spot!

-- friend brought grass clippings
-- I cannot stop collecting leaves
-- my parents save their food extras for me
-- bi weekly trips to the starbucks ....

and now...
I couldn't help myself -- I stopped by my local QT .. and will take them a 5 gallon bucket for them to save their coffee for me...

... I have become and addict in just a few weeks....

... thank you...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I was working on using some of the leaves that I have brought home, people's yard waste bags at the curb, for mulch. While I was doing that a very large japanese beetle crawled out of the bag. It made me worry a little, what all have I been bringing home with the leaves. I didn't see any others, but who knows about eggs.

Anybody else having issues like this with your bags of leaves?

Incidentally Sky Kero, congratulations on becoming a full-fledged composter very rapidly! :)

top_dollar_bread

rainbowgardener wrote:I was working on using some of the leaves that I have brought home, people's yard waste bags at the curb, for mulch. While I was doing that a very large japanese beetle crawled out of the bag. It made me worry a little, what all have I been bringing home with the leaves. I didn't see any others, but who knows about eggs.

Anybody else having issues like this with your bags of leaves?

Incidentally Sky Kero, congratulations on becoming a full-fledged composter very rapidly! :)
I get spiders, earwigs and other small critters with the leaves I collect from a near by park. Only issue is when they crawl on me, as I hand move the leaves to my piles :P

got to thank stella for another great thread!!
like most posting here, I have been collecting leaves from every place I can get them. I thought id show some images of my leaf compost pile that I started a few weeks back.
I'm hoping to make a more fungal dom compost out of it, as it is mostly composed of leaves and it wont be turned..
here's some photo's on how I did this
I started off with some sun dried vines to help prevent anaerobic conditions
[img]https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/top_dollar_bread/DSC01649.jpg[/img]
then I layered some leaves on top w/ some EWC
[img]https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/top_dollar_bread/DSC01650.jpg[/img]
I gently packed down the leaves, added more vines and moisten w/ ACT
[img]https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/top_dollar_bread/DSC01651.jpg[/img]
I then layered a very small batch of chopped weeds, these weeds are edible but I usually use them for compost and worm food
[img]https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/top_dollar_bread/DSC01656.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/top_dollar_bread/DSC01657.jpg[/img]
then I add some chopped up leaves and mix that up with the greens (weeds)
[img]https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/top_dollar_bread/DSC01654.jpg[/img]
in between layers I used dried stems from my native sage, this will help aerate the pile
[img]https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/top_dollar_bread/DSC01655.jpg[/img]
I continue layering with lots more browns (leaves) then greens (weeds) till my I get to the top
[img]https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/top_dollar_bread/DSC01659.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/top_dollar_bread/DSC01660.jpg[/img]
I then watered the pile down with weed and garden soil tea
[img]https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/top_dollar_bread/DSC01652.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/top_dollar_bread/DSC01653.jpg[/img]
added a bit of garden soil to the top and covered with moisten paper
[img]https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/top_dollar_bread/DSC01661.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/top_dollar_bread/DSC01662.jpg[/img]
this pile is mostly made up of browns and wont be turned but I'm pretty sure it wont go anaerobic.
with in one week the pile was looking good but I had a huge colony of ants living in side, unfortunately for them I then put this pile under water, in a trash bin for a few hours and now its just sitting in the sun again.
I didnt plan on letting the pile sit in water but ther were so many ants I couldnt just let them live in my pile. I hate the ants around here so I let them get the best of me :twisted:
sorry for all the photo's, hope you don't mind
this pile is in my DIY compost bin, that works like a charm
it is just open to all small critters, lots of life in ther But no ants allowed :)

soil
Greener Thumb

the ants were just aerating your pile. by the time its ready to harvest that compost I doubt they would still be there.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Great stuff, TDB! I love your visuals :)

The leaves I got about three weeks ago are composting their hearts out and shrinking like mad. I did not expect a warm November, not after the frigid October we had up here. I seriously think this batch will be done by May, depending on the weather.

I need to water my cages, but the hose is put away for the winter, which means I need to hand carry gallons and gallons of water. Maybe tomorrow ...

top_dollar_bread

soil wrote:the ants were just aerating your pile. by the time its ready to harvest that compost I doubt they would still be there.
yes but I kill ant colonies on site, many are attacking my vines, citrus plants and a few others. these guys like to put [url=https://www.oisat.org/images/softscale.jpg]scals[/url] on every plant they can and have multiple colonies surronding my property.
its a full on war with these guys thats been going on since I moved here..I don't know if the ants in my pile are the same ant that are working with the scales but I destroy them anyways :twisted:

stella1751
Greener Thumb

TDB, this might be really dumb. (I hope no one makes me feel embarrassed :oops: ) I have great luck with baking powder for my ants. Whenever I see 'em starting to swarm or whatever it is that makes them crawl around in black masses, I sprinkle them and the surrounding area with baking powder. Within days, they have moved on. I read somewhere that they hate baking powder, and based on my experiences, it's true.

I wonder whether you could add baking powder to your compost pile. Does anyone know?

Funny story: I was baking cookies the other night and could not find my baking powder. I knew I had at least two huge cans, but they weren't in the cupboard. Then it hit me: they were in the garden shed :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Any powder thing like that acts as a barrier to ants. It could be baby powder, chalk line, cleanser powder, bone meal. Just make a good thick line of it. If they try to walk across it, it clogs up their spiracles and they can't breathe. So they won't cross that line. Make a circle of it around something and they can't get to the something inside the circle.

applestar
Mod

Stella, that's like me with my spice jars of ground cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Cinnamon was upstairs for sprinkling around my seedlings to forestall damping off, and the cayenne pepper was in the pocket of my gardening jacket because I had finally had enough with some neighborhood cats using my strawberry bed as a potty. :roll: :lol:

Return to “Composting Forum”