Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Gix - looking good!

Thanks for the inspiration, this weekend I will start to do the same! I wanted to wait till later in the year, but the weather is nice, leafs are plenty, coffee grounds in abundance - why not, let the red clay TRANSFORM!!! :lol:

Regards,
D

Ermintrude

I had a real bit of good luck. I past someone just bagging up a whole heap of leaves. So now I have a huge plastic bin full to the brim, and they are already quite well compacted.

I save all my coffee grounds for my raspberry plants. Can't seem to get enough of them.

Lehcar

Well. I suppose this explains the odd visit I received about three months ago in mid-October

A gentleman came to my door, leaf blower/vacuum in hand and asked if I would like him to clear the leaves off of my front lawn for free. Free, you say? Surely... you jest. My husband has been dodging this chore for weeks now and you--a strange man--have offered to do this hated task for free? I was so shocked that all I could do was nod "yes" and let him get to it. I didn't think to ask what he was doing with the leaves. My husband later smiled with glee, did a little dance and--like me--didn't question the gentleman's motives.

At the time I thought he was perhaps advertising for a lawn care business... but when he cleared the leaves and left I was stumped.

Now that I think about it, he had a mulching attachment that mulched as he vacuumed and he emptied the shredded leaves into the back of his pickup truck. He also cleared my neighbor's across the street, to the right of me and a few down the road, I suppose whoever would answer the door and give him permission, he cleared their leaves. I'm guessing that clever man put in a full day worth of leave-vacuuming and is now sitting pretty with a GIANT pile of leaves in his compost heap.

I'm thinking this is a ridiculously clever idea.

I'm also thinking he's gonna have competition next year for those free leaves!

rot
Greener Thumb

The neighbors next door moved out and I mowed their lawn while doing mine keeping the grass clippings. Everyone thinks I'm being nice.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"I'm also thinking he's gonna have competition next year for those free leaves!

I have a gardening friend who lives about five blocks away in the same neighborhood. Both of us were out this past fall collecting people's leaves. Fortunately, there were plenty to go around. She brought home 30 bags of leaves. I don't have that much room even to store them and quit at 9. But it did occur to me that if one more person in our neighborhood catches on to the leaf thing, it might become a serious competition! :)

Return to “Composting Forum”