C:N around three to one, folks, and multiple inputs works great. Took a klong time to convince DW to keep kitchen scraps but even she's on board after seeing how fast it cooks up.
I was turning piles today (no thermometer but HOT) and it hit me. The "ash" is actually fungal spores (probably Aspergillus, the most common fungus in the environment), usually associated with grass clippings in my pile, and the "smoke" can actually be airborne spores (might be steam, but seeing this today it was spores, not steam, that made the most "smoke"). Make sure you have good ventilation and don't inhale any "smoke"; mold spores, ANY mold spores do not much belong in your lungs. We can deal with the amounts regularly found in the air no problem but concentrated quantities are NOT good. There have been two [url=https://aspergillusblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/warning-for-all-gardeners-man-killed-by.html]fatalities reported from high dosage incidents[/url]with Aspergillus; one a Midwestern farmer entering a silo of spoiled grain (enclosed area, and his walking in stirred the spores up) and the other an English fellow who bagged his grass clippings in plastic bags in the fall, let them sit all winter, and then opened the bag in spring, with his face right over the opening. Normally Aspergillus is harmless and as I said, everywhere, but one species (there are 160+) A. niger, or black mold is a real bad guy indoors, associated with wet dank situations, but not one you would see in normal composting operations.
I am not trying to scare anybody; the incidence of two people among HOW many composters out there let you know this is a one in a million shot, like turning on a light switch and getting electrocuted (might happen but you still use electricity, right?) I just want folks to be aware that like garbage disposals, carving knives or scissors, compost is a tool that handled incorrectly, can hurt you. Let's be careful out there, people...