top_dollar_bread

beneficial nematodes in wormbin??

I recently purchased some beneficial nematodes.
they came in a small cup with, I believe was vermiculite that contained the nematodes.
is it possible for the nematodes to breed in my worm bin??

I placed around 3 TBSP or more to my worm bin and I was hopping that they will multiply with my worms..
is this possible and will ther be any negative effects??
I already noticed a decrease in BSF or some other kind of compost fly and I wanted to know if from now on, will the casting harvest from this bin, also contain beneficial nematodes??
has anyone tried this?? Any advice??
thanks

huskie

Don't know??? I bought some once that where supposed to kill termites.....didn't work to well :?

top_dollar_bread

:? nothing??
does any buddy know if beneficial nematodes eat worm cocoons??
my bin is outdoors so ther are a lots of other critters in my bin to feed the nematodes, I'm crossing my fingers they will multiply....
any help or links will be appreciated, or ill just ask somewere else
thnks
from observation of my bin
I have seen a decrease in composting flies, fungus gnats and I believe I had composting mites :?: , who now are all gone.. (less the 2 weeks 8) )
I don't think these critters (gnats, flies mites) were bad, worms seemed fine with them and cocoons were still showing up..
I just had to cure or let my EWC sit for 2 weeks, in hope they die or leave and don't show up in my indoor potting soil... but know they are gone, my bin seems a lot more worm populated and home made potting soil has no more gnats :P ..
So far the nematodes are doing pretty swell for my bin (so far)

huskie

Some times I will cover my compost piles with plastic....this causes it to heat up greatly that will normally kill of bugs like that and speed up the composting.

Return to “Composting Forum”