GardenerX

Hair for Soil and Compost Mix's

Hello,

My mom used to work in a hair salon and she told me that a few people used to come in and get bags of hair for soil and compost mix's so if you cut your hair at home like I do try saveing it and useing it idk if it work's I'm accualy about to cut my hair to test it, wish me luck.....

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I've heard of composting hair, but not about direct applications. Same goes with pet hair.

Maximavswife
Newly Registered

What about colored hair? Can it be used?

Kath

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I once put hair from my Newfoundland dog in my compost pile. Even though I turned that pile every few days, I ended up having to pull out the hair before I could use the finished compost the following year. The hair didn't break down at all.

When discussing this with a friend, she pointed out that it isn't all that unusual for hair to be found still attached to skeletons in archaeological digs. Maybe my pile just wasn't running hot enough, though. [img]https://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif[/img]

GardenerX

hmmmmm not sure guys like I said my mom gave me the idea so she told me that they would cut the hair and just bag it up, so I guess colored can be used srry I can't help more...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I've heard of people getting bags of hair trimmings from barbershops and beauty salons, then putting it in little bags to hanging on plants as a deer repellent. I don't know whether that works or not, though.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah ... human hair is supposed to work as a critter repellant. I haven't tried it, don't have any personal experience. I can't imagine my raccoons would be to scared of it, since they don't get very scared when I come out and yell at them... just waddle off and them come right back as soon as I leave. But I suppose I should give it a try just in case.

But I expect that's what people were collecting the hair for. I doubt it would break down very well in compost pile.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

If it's a repellant it's because of the smell. Deer will stay away if they smell a human, so the hair might help there. Of course, coons don't mind the smell of humans.

rot
Greener Thumb

Fur and hair will clump up if you don't mix it well. Once it clumps up it doesn't break down so fast.

Some critters will use hair and fur for nesting or in their dens.

I don't know what chemicals are used in salons so I'd say make sure it is washed first at the very least. Of course it could be those chemicals that are repellant to some critters.

2cents
Green Thumb

I've had little experience, but I've tried the human hair in compost.
It definately clumps up. I think the hair strands dig in the pile on cold nights till they find each other and huddle together to stay warm.
The hair does seem to break down, but patience is the key.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Oh, 2cents! You just gave me a much needed laugh! [img]https://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/rofl.gif[/img] [img]https://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/rofl.gif[/img] [img]https://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/rofl.gif[/img]

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

My wife cuts my hair and my boy's hair and we throw it in the compost bin. It's not much but I don't ever seem to run into it when pulling out finished compost. But even if it doesn't break down well in the compost and makes its way into the finished pile I see no reason why it wouldn't be fine to put it around the plants.

soil
Greener Thumb

my worms love my hair. they like to lay their eggs in it too.

huskie

bet it helps keep the critters away?

Return to “Composting Forum”