thebahamiangardener

Meat got in the Compost >

Well in the process of taking out the trash there was a clump of avocado skin and lemon but this morning I awake to find the faint smell of rotting meat.It realy isnt that bad. I took the piece of meat out and threw it away. The pile still has the scent . I threw some new scraps to pile to see if it would cover the scent . It has died down a bit but what can I do to get rid of the scent

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mainly just wait... it will get broken down soon. In the meantime if it's bothering you (and/or attracting critters, the biggest reason why we don't put meat in compost piles) throw more weeds and greens on top. Whenever I dump my compost bucket of kitchen scraps on to my compost pile, I cover it with a big layer of weeds, leaves, whatever I have around. If you grow herbs, you could throw some basil leaves or something aromatic like that on. Try watering the pile some.

thebahamiangardener

I got this from another site
where I just asked the same question

QUOTE:

Cover the pile with a thick layer of carbon- dry leaves or straw work well. Turning with a fork beforehand might help.
Karen

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Nothing to it, so don't sweat it. Like said above if the critters are bothering you than just cover it up rake the pile over or something it will all compost together. :)

huskie

sometimes...critters in your compost pile is a good thing.... they help aerate it.

Return to “Composting Forum”