MikeP09

worms escaping

I recently started my vermicompost bin and shortly after setting it up and adding worms I saw a worm crawling down the side of the bin! Well I checked inside and saw about 6-7 worms crawling on the inside near the top. The lid of my bin doesn't seem tight enough to hold them in unfortunately.
Well it was only 7 out of 2000 that I put inside but is there a reason why they would try escaping? I used plenty of shredded newspaper and sprayed it all down with a spray gun untill it was wet but not too wet. Added some banana peels and some watermelon along with 2 days worth of used coffee grinds.
Is there something I missed?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The worms aren't used to their new home yet; they're exploring it.

You can drive them back down into the bedding by taking the lid OFF for a few minutes during full daylight.

But the coffee grounds should lure them down pretty soon! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Melons seem to be the best happy food to keep them put, but there's a myriad of reasons they jump ship; temperature, moisture, mite infestations or bacterial infections (although worms do seem to reduce pathogens in soils from what I've seen...) Nice even moisture, not to much (they all come to the top and run) or too little (they all dive and don't feed).

HG

Return to “Composting Forum”