nes
Green Thumb

BioDegradable Bags

Just because it would make my life allot easier sometimes, has anyone tried to compost one of those loblaws biodegradable bags? (or any other brand for that matter?)

Can the compost properly in a home composter?

I'm not worried about how many months it would take (as long as it's months) because I'm thinking of using them to transport compost from the cottage when we go up.

rot
Greener Thumb

I tried to compost a biodegradable plastic bowl that came with one of those asian instant starch type things. Never seemed to do anything after months. Just picked out another shard after the bin reduced to one third volume.

Biodegradable plastic is still v1.0 technology I think. If that.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I think what they mean by biodegradable bag, it means in a couple of years it will have broken down. It's still plastic, and it'll take a good long time to break down.

Kalli007

I use them, but am constantly pulling them out of my finished compost. It must take years for them to decompose....

applestar
Mod

How much volume are you talking about? Here's another idea:

I find that layers of brown paper bags -- usually start with a lunch bag, then roll the top closed and put in increasingly larger size bags, adding more compostables as I go (if I have intermediate sizes) until the final size is the brown grocery bag -- lets me get away with keeping things longer before taking them out. I put them in a leakproof plastic grocery bag ONLY if I see the contents seriously staring to soak the bag -- usually, at first sign of moisture coming through, I put the bag in the next size bag or sometimes, double the grocery bag. If you wait until the paper bag is soaking, it will be too late. Sometimes, I just put a folded up paper bag in the bottom of the next size bag to soak up moisture some more.

What I do with the resulting GREEN/BROWN layer bundle -- take out of the plastic bag first, of course:
(1) put as it is in the middle of a wet compost pile after a soaking rain OR
(1') pour some water into the bags to moisten the contents then bury in the compost pile OR
(2) take the time to dump out each paper bag and roughly tear them up, and generally stir into the compost pile OR
(3) (in the middle of the winter) toss into the top of the plastic composting bin, slam the lid closed, and run back inside :wink:

-- I sometimes use cooled pasta cooking water (no salt) and pour into the bag to moisten/warm up the bundle.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

agree about the "biodegradeable" bags. I don't use them, but my church does. If you look at the compost pile there, you see a whole bunch of stuff still in little green bags. (Oh well at least we are trying!)

nes
Green Thumb

I didn't even think of using brown paper bags!! :idea:)

-duh- Good solution app!

Everyone's experience with bio-bags is really interesting though, I guess I'll stop wasting my money buying them & just try to reduce our garbage more :?

Return to “Composting Forum”