bocondo

Can grass clips be compost without browns

I got lot of grass clippings from my lawn, last year I just threw lot of grass clipping between the trees now they looks like they are compost. I didn't put any browns in there or never turn them over or water. After more then a year, is it compost now? Is it safe to use that for my vegetable garden next spring? Is that any good?

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

It'll be compost, but will be higher in nitrogen. Nothing bad will come from using them, but I'd throw them in a bucket with some browns and make a more equal mix. The already composting greens will give you a head start.

GeorgiaGirl

Since they were between trees -- didn't leaves fall on it? If you let leaves settle on top of the grass clippings, that would take care of the browns, no?

bocondo

There were not much leaves on it, but as a0c8c suggest I am going to add some browns and some more greens and then I can use them in spring.

applestar
Mod

I think that, in this case, it worked because it was in an open spread out pile, with some natural balancing going on with leaves, etc. getting mixed in and perhaps the trees helped to prevent overwatering.

In a pile of dimensions usually associated with compost, especially in an enclosed highly humid, less aerated bins, grass-only pile will quickly mat down, turn sour, become slimy and begin to smell.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

[quote="bocondo"]they looks like they are compost/quote]

Well than.....................compost they are.

rot
Greener Thumb

I mulch with grass clippings all the time. I love the results.

Is it compost? Who cares? Just more organics in the ground.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

My mulching lawn mower is out of comission currently(my lazy but doesn't wanna drive to Austin for a carnb kit) so I'm using my brother in-laws cheap little mower and so I aim the grass clippings towards my flower beds. Leaves a nice layer of green(which looks nice) and then slowly adds nutrition as it breaks down(even better!).

Return to “Composting Forum”