Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Organic humus manure for compost?

Hello all!

I've read just about every thread in this section - very useful info, thank you!. Surrendering to the nature, will start making my own compost!

I'm fine with the list of most ingredients, but one question - when adding a little soil to compost, can I substitute "all soil" to a "little soil" and a "little organic humus manure"? I'm so new to this, want to make it right!

What effect this humus manure have on the soil in general and the compost (if I was to add it in moderation)?

Regards,
D

rot
Greener Thumb

Like the name.

Don't sweat it. Mix things up and see how it goes. Adjust as you go along. Learn from your mistakes. You can't have a major disaster. It just takes longer.

I don't add dirt. Others do. The pile or bin needs air so don't smother if you're going to add dirt.

It works when it works for you when you do things your way whether letting it sit for a year or turning it every day. Got other things to do? Do 'em. The compost will start up again when you get to it.

https://www.compostinfo.com/

two cents

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Rot - great read on that site, thank you!

After juggling few ideas on doing my own compost, and taking inconsideration the time I have available and the amount I need - I wanted to do the 55gal drum (2 actually)... Unfortunately, in my area (been looking for a month), no one offers those drums. At least not at the reasonable price (usually $60-$80). I've checked with all the local food chains, restaurants too, but no luck. And with that price, by the time I calculate the materials needed for a quality bast, shaft, hinges and such, would have been about $110-120

So happened that lawnmower I use around the beds - fuel line cracked. Went to Tractor Supply, and what I found on sale is this:

[img]https://eartheasy.com/store/prodimages/composter_Rotocomposterjr.jpg[/img]

With the store credit of $20 from forever ago and $10 visa gift card, this 12cubic tumbler followed me home for about $120 :D

For it's size, and simplicity, I think it is going to work for what I need. Now off to check with local farms for some free cow goodies :lol:

Regards,
D

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Wow, fancy composter! We've always built wooden boxes for compost bins. In Texas, maintaining heat isn't a big issue. Love tractor supply though, we get great deals here.

rot
Greener Thumb

neat

You'll have to let us know how it works out. I'm curious about tumblers.

Allow for some trial and error. No bad experiments. Just more data.

Return to “Composting Forum”