tomf
Super Green Thumb

want to try but I am a bit dumb on composting.

I want to start a compost pile will it be a good idea to mix dirt with it?
I will most likely just make it a large pile, one of my neighbors said I could have all the cow and horse stuff I want so I am thinking of adding this to it. As I can get way more poop than I can make compost it would be like adding compost to the poop is this a good idea? I may just compost and add the poop when I till the garden then I will not have to smell it. I know that even a few yards of compost will not do that much but over time it will help my garden. I have been reading what is written here but I am still a bit dumb on composting.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Have you read the sticky on greens and browns?

You want a balance. And you don't want to overdo raw manure. You might want to compost it separately or hopefully the people who have the animals will compost it on their property. Don't till raw manure into your garden, it will burn things up.

Basics:

Get some kind of bin or frame to contain your materials.

Pile stuff in it being sure there's some green (soft) stuff like your composted manure, kitchen scraps, non-woody pulled weeds and some brown (hard) stuff like fall leaves, wood chips, charcoal, shredded paper, etc (see the sticky). Whenever you add some green try to add some brown.

Keep it damp (not dry, not wet) -- anytime conditions are dry enough to water your garden, water the pile.

Helps to keep it aerated. Some people turn/ rotate piles which can speed it up, or you can just punch some holes through with a stick every once in awhile.

Let it sit for a few months.

Throwing in a handful of dirt here and there can help add some good soil biology, but don't over do it.

rot
Greener Thumb

Start with this link.

https://www.compostinfo.com/

It explains the basics in an easy read with some good illustration for different approaches.

Lots of folks add dirt. I do not. The microbes you need are in the air and on the organic material already. Further, your grass clippings and tree trimmings are already covered in dirt.

Don't over think it. Mix it up. Add water. Mix it up again after a while. Keep moist. If it stinks add dry brown stuff. If it doesn't do anything add wet green stuff. Often just turning to add air, must have air, and adding water gets things going.

Don't make it any more elaborate than you want to work it.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for your help, the sticky helps and that link was very good; I think I see the light.

Return to “Composting Forum”