JPIXI

Is Dog Poop Suitable for Compost?

Hiya guys,

I wonder is Dog poop suitable for compost?

I intend to keep a dog in future, but I wish to make a circle plan of his/her dirt to be a responsible owner.

I do not intend to use the dog dirt compost to my vegetable lot, but to my roses, I wonder is it ok? Any tips and suggustion are most welcome.

Cheers,
Pixi

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hi JPIXI - We have a thread with this around here somewhere... I can't remember if it mentioned dog poop but it did have horse poop in it. Soon as I find that thread I'll link it here. :)

I found it. It's on page three of the Leaves & Nutrients thread. Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything about dog poop!

https://helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I have 2 big dogs and have had no problem with the stuff - my dogs are actually on a raw diet and I have noticed their piles decompose completely in 3 days. If you're feeding kibble the droppings are about 2x the size and take 2x as long to go away.

Me, I prefer the raw diet. My dogs eat better than I do! :lol:

Joseph

What is a raw diet? Raw, real meat?

JPIXI

Thanks a bunch GREY!

Joseph, yes raw diet is raw food and bones, you can find a lot of information on this if you do a net search. here are many suggestive combination and diet on this.

Good, I am so going to recycle my future dog poop into gold pile ha ha ha..

Cheers,
Pixi

Grey
Greener Thumb

Joseph wrote:What is a raw diet? Raw, real meat?
Yup. The dogs love it. It also costs about the same as a good kibble does... and the results are astounding - their teeth are beautiful, no more dog breath, a really shiny, soft coat... if you want more info on it, PM me. The change I saw in one of my dogs in particular made it all so worth it.

Between fertilizers, pesticides, kibble, etc... I wonder how much healthier we ALL would be right now without all these new "advances." The change probably happened so slowly we didn't notice what it was doing to us, our animals, our crops - I'd love to see things go "back" to the way they were when my grandparents were kids as far as farming and food is concerned.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I have read that cat an dog manure can have diseases and other such nasties in them

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'm a no meat or fat in the compost guy and that means our cat poop as well... I'm worried about the possible health issues and would advise against it (although my cats use the beds all the time and I just turn it in)

I wonder if you couldn't get worms to compost it. Vermiculture might work there...

HG

Grey
Greener Thumb

Well, for the record I've never chucked the droppings into the compost bin. My dogs are really nice about doing their buisness at the far corners of the yard, so we never worry about stepping in it or anything either. I was just noting that it does go away pretty fast on the raw diet, compared to the almost synthetic diet of kibble.

Return to “Composting Forum”