splat42069

Compost Question...

Ok I have been reading tons on this and I still havent seen what to put in the "compost bin" and how it works?

From what I'm reading you throw a bunch of junk into a bin, let it bake in the sun, toss it 1x a day and when it looks like soil, its ready?

Can someone give me a link or insight on this whole concept?

Do you toss branches from trees and leaves into it?

Thanks to anyone whole can help me out :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Try reading the Sticky at the top of the Compost Forum, "Greens and Browns." It's not only a list of greens and browns contributed by our members; it also contains valuable links to educational sites on compost-building.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9089

Cynthia H.

rot
Greener Thumb

I found the following useful for just good basic information.

https://www.compostinfo.com/

Don't sweat it and make it work for you and not the other way around.

splat42069

Thank you both for the information! And Cynthia I swear that sticky wasnt there lastnight lol. I'm not the type to ask for help without doin my own research first. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No don't put branches in or really woody stems or vines from your tomatoes at the end of the season. That kind of stuff put "raw" into your compost pile will still be in the same shape (I.e. un-broken down) six months later. A few little sticks in the pile doesn't hurt in terms of keeping it from packing down and letting air in, but they don't break down.

I keep a separate brush pile and every once in a while I get out my little mini chipper shredder and shred some of it up, at which point it is then in great shape to be a brown in my pile.

I don't "toss" my pile or mix it, just keep adding more stuff. Usually three times a year I turn it over. That is, I take all the stuff off the top of the old pile and put it in a different place to be the bottom of the new pile. Get down to where all the earthworms are. Then I mix that part some and it is very soon finished compost that I can use. In the meantime I do every once in awhile just take a long stick and punch some holes down through the pile to let air into the the bottom.

You mentioned baking in the sun. If your compost is baking in the sun, you will need to water it. Any time it is hot and dry enough to water your garden, water your compost pile. Too keep working it needs to be a little damp (like a wrung out sponge). If it dries out it will stop working (not a disaster, once watered, it will start again).

Return to “Composting Forum”