gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

People using dog or cat manure in their garden look here

I just noticed in a post 2 people using or wanting to use domesticated animal manure in their garden. This is not a good idea it can carry disease among other bad reactions. Read this to find out a little more. Horse is from what I believe the best better than cow.

Read me---> https://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h238manure-dog-cat.html

At my old house I had a sewer at one end of my yard and my garden at the other. I give you one guess where the dog poop went and it wasn't my garden. :lol: Now I just throw it in the trash, sorry trash guy! :P

Dono

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I bought a doggy dooly and it works just great. We just scoop the poop twice per day and drop it in the trap door. Add a little enzyme once per week and add a little water every few days. IMO a much better alternative than contaminating the trash stream with feces.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:I bought a doggy dooly and it works just great. We just scoop the poop twice per day and drop it in the trap door. Add a little enzyme once per week and add a little water every few days. IMO a much better alternative than contaminating the trash stream with feces.
Do you put it in the garden when it's done?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The doggy dooly is a dog septic system. You dig a four foot deep hole and insert the container in the upper 18 inches or so. The feces is digested in the tank and then when water is added the digested waste overflows into the lower part of the hole where is seeps into the soil, just like happens in any septic system. The feces stays out of contact with the surface or upper soil area.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:The doggy dooly is a dog septic system. You dig a four foot deep hole and insert the container in the upper 18 inches or so. The feces is digested in the tank and then when water is added the digested waste overflows into the lower part of the hole where is seeps into the soil, just like happens in any septic system. The feces stays out of contact with the surface or upper soil area.
Oh I see, I have never heard of that before, makes perfect sense though. I should look into that I have a Pit bull terrier and she can lay some pretty big bombs! :shock:

On another note, there are actually a couple of entrepreneurs around here that will come collect your dog doo-doo. Pretty sick but easy job. I'm sure they are making good money as well. Maybe I should pick up poo and quit my present Job. :wink: :lol:

Dono

thrr3ee

I was told not to use cat or dog manure because they aren't herbivores like horses and cows. Horse is supposed to be better than cow but because they ingest seeds weeds can spring up.

I don't know but thats what I was told. I'd be pleased if somebody coiuld inform me otherwise.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

thrr3ee wrote:I was told not to use cat or dog manure because they aren't herbivores like horses and cows. Horse is supposed to be better than cow but because they ingest seeds weeds can spring up.

I don't know but thats what I was told. I'd be pleased if somebody coiuld inform me otherwise.

https://www.plantea.com/manure.htm

thrr3ee

Huh I really never thought about it before. I have horses and dogs but I've always gone for the horse's dung when it comes to fertilizer. This thread has shined a new light on the way I fertilize. Thanks

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

thrr3ee wrote:Huh I really never thought about it before. I have horses and dogs but I've always gone for the horse's dung when it comes to fertilizer. This thread has shined a new light on the way I fertilize. Thanks
Glad I could help I'm new on this forum. I have a pretty good knowledge about gardening but I sure as hell don't know everything. I just want to share my knowledge and gain some more that I can share as well. :D

eshenry

My son lost vision in his eye due to the SAND BOX! :x

plkelly

Though I haven't ever purchased it, our city zoo sells out of "Zoo Doo" every year. I think it's already composted, but I'll have to look into it further.

rot
Greener Thumb

The dog stuff goes in bins on two year cycles. Feed bin for 6 months or so and then digest for a year to 18 months. The worms do most of the work. the finished product goes on ornamentals or the ground around fruit trees. I'm digesting stuff more than I'm producing compost in this operation.

I basically follow the Joe Jenkins method:
https://www.jenkinspublishing.com/humanure.html#

I haven't tackled the cats yet. Other issues there.

There are folks that will compost whole cows. That sort of thing, along with dog stuff, takes more consideration and more work and more management than the casual composter wants to do.

I used to want to make as much compost as possible. Now I'm into bio-remediation.

Just avoid it.

two cents

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I've used dog poo before, but I've recently stopped. Didn't really help so I figured there was no need. As long as you keep your hands clean, and wash them with soap when you come in its no riskier then just picking poop up in your yard.

I do have an issue with that article though. It says "Cat and dog manure should be disposed of by flushing down the toilet" which is completely WRONG! Dog manure is one thing, but you should never ever flush cat manure. That can easily contaminate local water systems with Toxoplasmosis and is extremely bad is you use a septic tank (think concentrated disease in a tank seeping into your yard).

rot
Greener Thumb

Better to compost that stuff than to dump into the municipal waste stream where it can cook with all the odd chemicals and antibiotics that end up there. I'm betting the next super bugs are coming out of municipal waste water treatment facilities.

What's worse? Composted dog waste or something that's been stewing in wastewater or in a landfill?

Return to “Composting Forum”