wolfie

compost from a bulk mulch company question

I called my local mulch company as I was planning on getting bulk mulch by the scoop full as well as some topsoil to lay over newspaper in a new area I am wanting to garden in, kinda layering effect as read elsewhere.

Anyway, I asked them about a mulch that I could use in my veggie garden and then be able to turn it into the soil over the winter and they said they had a compost that I could get, that they use to grow mushrooms in.

My question is, is this safe to use as a mulch directly in my garden, or should I compost it first, which in my case now, does me no good.

Thanks, I am cross posting in the veggie forum.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

mushroom compost should be fine to use directly, as is. Check with the company you are getting it from to be sure what is in it.

rot
Greener Thumb

The local mushroom farm uses racetrack horse manure and pasteurizes first before using it to grow mushrooms. Apparently mushrooms need thing clean to grow.

Should be just the ticket you're looking for.

Green Thumb Joe
Newly Registered

This sort of compost will be fine. In fact, the mushrooms are a good sign of the organic matter content. Fungus love "healthy" compost and thrive in it. If this is what your local mulh guy recommends, it's a sign that the compost is filled with this organic matter. Your veggies should take the same approach as the mushrooms and thrive. :D

wolfie

thanks guys, I went ahead and made the purchase and then filled in all my raised beds, will let you know the outcome!!

rot
Greener Thumb

The down side of mushroom compost is it is the monoculture of the compost world. Not a lot of diversity in ingredients or life. Fine for mulch or casual use. Usually the best price around because they want to get rid of it. Some folks will bulk up their own compost bins with the stuff.

wolfie

Yes, I used it as mulch, which I will turn into my soil at the end of the season. The extra that I had left over I added to my compost bin which will also get turned into the soil next season, so with all things considered, next season should be huge LOL

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

one thing to be aware of with spent mushroom compost is that it CAN (dependent on variety of mushroom and growing techniques) have a really high salts content, which isn't necessarily good for the garden.

Return to “Composting Forum”