noodles777

how to use my compost w/ out the worms??

I feel sumb asking, but is there an easy way to get the redworms out of the compost so I can actually use it in my garden? I was told I could pick them out or put a new pile of scrap on one side of my bin and they will move over to that side. I tried the latter, most of the worms have moved to the side with the new scraps (its been about 2-3 weeks) but A LOT are still in the other pile. what do I do? Does this mean it's not ready, if they are still finding things to eat? I don't see any scraps anymore or grass clippings or anything it all just looks like worm poo

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Why remove the worms? By using the compost with some worms in it, you will be increasing the worm activity where ever you use the compost. After several years of doing this, I have an abundance of worms in every gardening area and planter in my yard.

applestar
Mod

If you screen the compost -- the usual recommendation is hardware cloth stapled on wooden frame to fit over a wheelbarrow, though I use 2 basket-type nursery flats stacked together for stability -- larger worms as well as larger bits that could be re-composted will remain and smaller worms and worm eggs will fall through.

If you do an on-line search, you can find any number of DIY instructions/plans for building a compost screen -- from simple to ultra-fancy, swinging on tripod type.

I do agree with Alex about spreading the worms though -- my new policy is "a worm in every (flower) pot" and more than one in larger containers. :wink: Just this morning, I saw with immense satisfaction that there are what I call "worm signs" in my hanging baskets as well. :D

One caution though -- apparently, earthworms are not indigenous to northern parts of the U.S. that was covered under the glaciers and escaped earthworms can actually harm the native eco/biological systems in the soil, resulting in soil structure that cannot support native wildflowers.

rot
Greener Thumb

If you've got a worm bin there are techniques the wormers do so search the worm bin sites. They'll do stuff like split the bin with old and fresh and wait for the worms to migrate from the old to the fresh.

A regular old bin where the worms let themselves in you can screen as suggested if you insist. If you've got worms moving into your bins, you've got plenty to spread around. Since they moved in they're from the area and not non-natives. No harm no foul. You'll end up with more worms in the next bin.

noodles777

yeah I was told to beware of redworms (what I purchased) since they are not native. I'm sure a few won't hurt if they go into the garden but it seems like too many. I'll look into making a screen. thanks guys!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

worms don't like strong light or dryness. if you've got a screen that the biggest ones can just get through, you can pile the castings on the screen under a lamp or, better, direct sunlight...they'll screen themselves. make sure you've got something cool, moist and lovely for them on the underside to drop into.

it's a low-human-labor technique that I picked up at a permaculture course last year.

Diane
Green Thumb

I live in Mass and my compost pile has lots of small red worms in it. I didn't buy them. They like the bottom of the pile near a piece of wood.
I found them when turning the pile and sifting with a plant tray.
I try to keep them in the pile because I don't usually see them in my garden and figure they like the compost.
Now I'm concerned about them getting into my garden.
If I didn't buy them are they Ok?

applestar
Mod

I wouldn't stress about the worms too much. I gather that the recreational fisherfolk are the worst offenders for spreading worms around, although pockets of responsibility fall on gardeners that purchase worms by the hundreds for worm composting or for putting them in their garden and compost. I believe some worms are only suited to living in the warm environment full of very raw/hot compost ingredients and are not likely to move out into the garden nor are cold hardy.

I guess it all depends on how conservation-minded you want to be. FWIW, here's the thread that introduced/discussed this concept: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8416 Look for posts by TheLorax.

Return to “Composting Forum”