humble angel
Newly Registered

Home Made Fertilizer

Waaaaaaay back when, I had a friend who used to prepare her own fertilizer from kitchen items for her plants. And she always had the best looking, strong plants I'd ever seen. I couldn't compete. But I can't seem to remember all the ingredients she used except for used coffee grounds and egg shells...

Have any of you ever heard of such a mixture?

Thanks in advance,

humble angel

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Diane4747/pic3.gif[/img]

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Could add some waterd down, spent milk to your concoction. Decades ago I saw a woman on t.v. prepare such a concoction but it was decades ago and I have little memory of what she put in it.

I personally put all of the above (minus the milk) into my compost pile and find that this stuff makes the best fertilizer of all.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Seconded...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

While on the topic of compost;

For those who live in concrete Jungles: you can compost indoors. Yes! You can, you really can. It's called vermicomposting and employs the use of a tote box and red wriggler worms. No bad smell, lots of good soil, less garbage to hall to the Garbage bin and your planters will never bloom so well.

I live in a house and we compost EVERYTHING and I'm still amazed at the amount of trash we have. But, with composting and recycling we do have less trash.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I dunno about any specific recipe - I do use crushed eggshells, coffee and tea grounds, kitchen scraps... yum.

Just be careful about potato peels. I have a friend down the street that wasn't thinking when he tossed those peels into his pile... when he went a'diggin' some months later he had some nice big tubers in there - that;s now his potato patch!

Michigan2Iowa

Doesn't it take a very long time for the eggshells to break down?

-P-

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Ummm...,Paul, ever crack an egg?:P :lol:

They break up pretty easy...crush and scatter. The fact that they break down slowly is a plus, unlike ammonia salt fertilizers that wash out instantly...

Humble, what your friend was making is really just compost, a topic we can jaw about for days (and do). It's Just Good Gardening...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Michigan, I obtained eggshells by the bucket full from the University Cafeteria last fall and put them into my compost pile (crushed them first) and now, all you can see are a few scant pieces of eggshell in the soil that the worms, arthropods, fungi and bacteria have made for me.

So, no they don't take long at all to break down. They also provide more than just Calcium and carbon for the soil. Really good stuff.

Return to “Composting Forum”