Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Satan Claus

[url]https://www.skiingsquirrel.com/images/New%20Folder/slides/Twiggy%20Santa%20Suit%20Christmas%20Card.html[/url]

The effect is much better if the picture just pops up but you get the idea.

Earl K
Green Thumb

sweet thunder-you mean to tell me there are no squirrels in Ca.Hmmm a world with no squirrels-where do all the nuts go :?: I actually like the little guys since the first 100 times I've been called sq-Earl :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

This thread

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13309

is where I discussed my feelings about squirrels :evil: *and* related an experience I had with raccoons while living in Berkeley. In El Cerrito, the squirrels are my nemesis; no raccoons here.... yet....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

sweet thunder

Earl K wrote:sweet thunder-you mean to tell me there are no squirrels in Ca.Hmmm a world with no squirrels-where do all the nuts go :?:
Well, according to Cynthia and others, there are squirrels in CA, just not in my neck of the woods for some reason. The foxes and mountain lions are probably eating them all. It does help explain the abundance of nuts around here. :wink:

rot
Greener Thumb

We've got ground squirrels and imported fox squirrels.

Fox squirrels were introduced to the LA area some time ago and studies are on-going to see how that's impacted native California Gray Squirrels.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

one man's pest is another's crock-pot dinner, I guess...

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

I have no problems with any animal really. The squeralls are actually not to bad the help airate around my trees in the mulch. LOL But the one thing I absolutly hate are the rabbits. We have SO many here it's not funny. Just driving down the road you could count at least 10 in one block and that's just in the front yards. They eat so much. I had some mesh/net around some of my plants they were eating and they ate right through it. I found a mixture of pepers and a few other things that seem to of help. Then they went and start eating my sunflowers. :twisted: I'm now going to teach the son about pellet guns and target practice if they keep it up. :evil:

plkelly

I love the animals in my yard, and even tolerate the squirrels diggin up newly planted containers to bury acorns. Bunnies and chipmunks are also welcome, along with the possums (my least favorite and barely tolerated), foxes, deer and racoons. Plus all the birds. Guess maybe I love the animals more than the plants. Or at least I'm willing to sacrifice a couple plants for the enjoyment the animals give me.

There's a town here in MO that has [url=https://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.ruralmissouri.coop/Images/RuralMissouri/Dec03/squirrelstands.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.ruralmissouri.coop/03pages/03DecSquirrels.html&usg=__kI3_MpzXKD90x_A8gX_UDlDxTDo=&h=247&w=340&sz=14&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=FP9YpHn8NfkBXM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=119&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmarionville%2Bmo%2Bwhite%2Bsquirrels%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1]white squirrels:[/url] (edited by mod)

Sorry that link is so long, but it was the best photos and info I could find in a quick search. A couple years ago I read about another place in the US that has white squirrels, but I can't remember what city it was. They battle it out for the title of "Home of the White Squirrels". Anyway, I've been to Marionville a few times, and the squirrels are beautiful (sorry, Charlie). Brilliant white--makes you wonder how they keep their coats so spotless. They are gorgeous.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We have a white squirrel in the neighborhood. It is beautiful but I still spit 3 times really fast to protect myself from squirrel evil eye whenever I see it.

I did enjoy watching them on my "squirrel go round" a few years back.

https://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=HF-75560

This was a lot of fun for me and therapeutic as well. When a lil devil grabs the corn cob, the contraption spins around and they're clinging for dear life or flying off the ride. Either way they have to earn their supper to my great entertainment. It's not really cruel. I read a squirrel psychology book that said that squirrel brains are too small to remember terror. They do get terrified when the corntraption spins but 30 seconds later they jump right back on so the psychologist must be right. I put great truck in psychology.

I think those compost tumblers that people keep making and showing off here have great potential as squirrel rides. One of the mods here said something about bobcats and the squirrel population. It would probably be fun to see if the bobcat might enjoy riding with the squirrel.

I made myself laugh with this one.

mngrdngrl

Charlie MV wrote:We have a white squirrel in the neighborhood. It is beautiful but I still spit 3 times really fast to protect myself from squirrel evil eye whenever I see it.

I did enjoy watching them on my "squirrel go round" a few years back.

https://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=HF-75560

This was a lot of fun for me and therapeutic as well. When a lil devil grabs the corn cob, the contraption spins around and they're clinging for dear life or flying off the ride. Either way they have to earn their supper to my great entertainment. It's not really cruel. I read a squirrel psychology book that said that squirrel brains are too small to remember terror. They do get terrified when the corntraption spins but 30 seconds later they jump right back on so the psychologist must be right. I put great truck in psychology.

I think those compost tumblers that people keep making and showing off here have great potential as squirrel rides. One of the mods here said something about bobcats and the squirrel population. It would probably be fun to see if the bobcat might enjoy riding with the squirrel.

I made myself laugh with this one.
Made me laugh too! That was really funny!

Diane
Green Thumb

sweet thunder wrote:Call me crazy, but I really miss the squirrels. We don't have any around here, so when I go back east I love to watch them.

I remember being really impressed by the one who could reach our bird feeder, and I was only mildly annoyed at all the little oak seedlings they planted around the yard. There was one who used to chatter at me from the power lines every morning.

I know they can be pests, but they're really entertaining pests.
So thats where all my little trees are coming from? I've been blaming the birds but I did wonder why they all grow in my pots.
My dog is very entertained by them. He chases them and the birds. He never hurts them. He just wants my yard to be bird free. :)

Return to “Composting Forum”