soearth!

how to use compost

Hi,

I am going to plant some herbs and vegetables in pots this weekend and was wondering what ratio of soil to compost to use. I compost using bokashi.

Thanks! :)
Ryan

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Bokashi is interesting stuff; it is a lot of anaroebic organisms as well as the usual aerobes; I find it moves compost along pretty quickly and I am amazed how effective EM really is. If it was cheaper I would use it more myself... great for opening soggy or mucked up compost...

How finished is this compost? And what are you planning for soil?

HG
Scott Reil

soearth!

I made my own bokashi. Very simple to do and very cost effective. I use 5 gallon painters buckets with lids to store the compost. Very clean, no smell - which my roommates appreciate :)

I've had the compost covered in bokashi in a sealed container for about 3 weeks, so I believe it is ready to be used, based on what I have read. For soil, I was planning on buying some organic soil from Whole Foods.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Potting soil, not top soil, right?

Reading isn't compost, So. Microbes can't read. Does it look like dirt? Smell good? Can you identify any pieces as what they once were? Is it hot at all? No ammonia smell? Then it's finished...

One to ten, no more than that. You could go lighter yet with the compost like one to twenty, but you should be fine at one to ten...

HG
Scott Reil

lilypotter
Newly Registered

I found the following article to have good information ...

"There are many ways to use compost, the one I prefer is to let the compost finish totally, then I add the compost to the area to be worked. I then work it into the soil to a depth from six inches to near a foot. Using compost which has fully matured will reduce any problems from weed seeds, pathogens and nitrogen 'stealing' from the coming crops roots by the decomposing material."

The entire article can be found at https://www.rivenrock.com/composthow.htm

buddy110

When I transplant something. I dig my hole 2X the ball of the transplanted plant, then line the bottom ans sides of the hole with compost. Then I fill the sides with more compost and pack it down. The plants love it!

Return to “Composting Forum”