vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Fruit Flys in My Compost Bin

As I'm new to composting, every time I open it to toss stuff in it's a surprise. Just set it up a couple of weeks ago so nothing too much is happening. But today I opened the lid and found an infestation of fruit flys.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

I did some research before I found this site and based on the posts here, it seems as though I using equal parts green and brown, and tossing OK. I may not have it moist enough... :oops:

Your thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated. :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds like the browns to greens needs to go up. Here's an article that will help indoors and out...

[url]https://www.mass.gov/dep/recycle/reduce/flies.htm[/url]

Hope that helps...

HG

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Thanks for the tip and the link. That could be.

They seem to like the banana peels... I turned the pile and that seemed to smother them. Haven't checked lately; will do so today.

Thanks again Scott! :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I don't look closely enough at the small, fast-flying things in my compost to identify them as fruit flies, gnats, or whatever.

BUT when there are so many of them that it annoys me to no end, I put in crushed eggshells on top and cover those with leaves. Then I lay a layer of burlap (which itself is slowly composting) over it all and add some water.

It knocks the flying things back for a while.

In fact, I just came back upstairs from doing exactly this routine. I was adding kitchen scraps and had some "reserved" eggshells. When I lifted up the top layer to add the kitchen scraps, there were TOO MANY flying things, so...

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

You may have the browns to green ratio correct but what you need to do is make sure your food scraps aren't on top. It just might need a bit of a mixing or after you toss in your food scraps toss in some browns on top so they aren't exposed.

I don't believe fruit files themselves are a concern but it is an indication that you have something exposed that may attract other critters and could eventually start to smell with out browns covering them.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Thanks. You guys are great! :lol:

I will try the egg shells; ... and I did notice that mixing after I add something is key so appreciate the confirmation.

Thanks again to you both.

rot
Greener Thumb

I just keep turning. Whether it's flies, ants or rodents.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Turning was definitely my problem plus I'm keeping an eye on the ratio of greens to browns; Also, it wasn't damp... :oops: but it's better now.

Looking forward to seeing some rich dark soil. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Personally (being lazy I guess :) ) I never turn or mix my compost, til I want to use some. About three times a year I move all the stuff off the top to be the bottom of a new pile. When I get to where the earthworms are, I stir that stuff up a little bit and poke some holes to be sure air gets all the way through it, and it is very soon finished compost. Otherwise no turning or mixing and I've never noticed any flying things. I also don't lift anything to add kitchen scraps, just throw them on top. But what I do is any time I add kitchen scraps on top, then I cover them with a big layer of leaves, weeds whatever else I have. That makes sure there's no odor from the pile and keeps the flying things away....

Return to “Composting Forum”