Just Getting Started

Dirt that needs revitalized

I have used dirt from a fire pit to fill in some 10 inch deep garden boxes. This dirt has ashes, some unburnt leaves in it. What should I add to this to make it useable to grow Sunflowers in? I was thinking of adding Manure, Peat Moss and some topsoil. As you can tell I'm a real rookie at this so I need some advice.

Tom

LazyGirl
Cool Member

I am no soil expert but I believe ashes raise the pH of soil. I would suggest getting a soil test kit (they cost ~$20 from any gardening store) to test the soil pH prior to planting.

Also, it would help if you could provide the percentages or some other measurable quantity of the ash, manure, peat moss, and topsoil that you plan on adding. To me they sound like good ingredients to mix in (with maybe the ash in a limited quantity).

Good luck! :D

Tania

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

If the wood was untreated, and things are more soil than ash, it should be fine. People have been fertilizing with ashes and charcoal for a long time. What are you planning on growing?

Add finished compost rather than manure or peat; you will handle the business of both with one product. If you really want a humus content like a peat to lighten the soil, try coconut coir as a better substitute for lots of reasons.

HG

2cents
Green Thumb

Like others will say, a PH test would be helpful, just so you know where you are starting and where you want to end up.
Sunflowers like a medium PH..
Wood ash has a high PH and getting above a 6.5-7.5 will slow the growth or kill some veggies. This is the general range for SUNFLOWERS.
There is advantages to wood ash, but be careful when using it right out of the pit, what was burnt wasn't just treated wood or too many pop/beer cans and other plastic and junk(too many heavy metals will have negative affects in the garden).
If your soil is very acidic (6 of lower), wood ash can improve your soil pH.
All this said, if you need to lower the PH, try some Composted OM and some manure. Coffee grounds(not composted) can lower the PH as well. A little saw dust and sulphur will help lower the PH.
Careful with the tall varieties of Sunflowers in raised beds. They are so top heavy late summer, that they tend to fall over. This may require some staking.
Also too much compost in the sunflower spot will not give them the stability they like to stand tall all summer.
I say add just a little clay to a sunflower bed.
Just my thoughts.

Return to “Composting Forum”