Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Dump Truck load of Manure 22 cu. yd.

I posted an add on Craigs list that I want some manure. I will take as much as I can get, a dump truck load if I can get that much.

I received an email with a phone number today. I called the phone number the guy will deliver 22 cubic yard of composted manure 90 miles round trip for $250.

WOW. Do you know how much 22 cu yds of manure is. That would cover my 15 x 30 garden 1 1/2 feet deep in manure. I might have to get a load dumped to the side of the garden, I can use it for several years.

If you want manure do what I did, put an add on Craigs list and see what happens.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Manure is not compost; this will still have weed seed and pathogens, and I do not recommend putting it directly on your garden. Plus what is the sourcing? Is it a CAFO operation, where there were a lot of antibiotics and purely grain feeding? That can be a very acidic manure that can stifle positive biology in your soil. I like to know the farmer I get it from and I get mine composted from the two farmers I use; one is registered organic and the other is mostly...

If you are going to compost it you could probably finish it in a couple of weeks, IF you can turn it every other day or so... BIG shovel for that job

Manure is not safe, and compost is; don't get E.coli messing around with undigested manure...

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Gary did say "composted manure," so hopefully the stuff has been composted already. But definitely before you have 22 cubic yards of the stuff dumped in your yard, you probably want to know a little more about where this stuff came from and how has it been treated and for how long was it composted...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Ah.. yeah right. He did say composted in the second paragraph..., so ... ummm, never mind the rant, Gary. My bad :oops:

Still good things to think about, though :roll:

Helpless Gardener :P

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

I would make sure what that guy means by composted. Depending on who you talk to they sometimes try to sell you composted manure when in fact it's nothing more then few months aged. By being composted find out what it was mixed with. And like everyone else said find out about the animals some. Were they given any hormones? I think that's the biggest one in my opinion.

Return to “Composting Forum”