jenniferbrannan
Newly Registered

Craftsman 8.50 Torque Rating (190CC) Rear Tine Tiller 71-29

Craftsman 8.50 Torque Rating (190CC) Rear Tine Tiller 71-29703?
I am looking to purchase this tiller, but I am wanting to know approx. how many horse power it has, I asked them and they didnt know.. Is there a way I can see approx the horse power?? thanks

here is a link to the tiller:

https://www.commercial.sears.com/catalog/7129703_specs.html

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If I were you, would look at and consider a cub cadet. I bought one a couple of years ago and have been extemely satisfied. One wonderful feature of the cub cadet is that it comes with dual rotation tines. They either run forward or reverse by simply shifting a lever. Reverse tines are best for breaking new ground and forward running tines are best for tilling already loose soil. The cub cadet is reasonably priced as well at under $900. Mine performed wonderfully over the past two seasons, with never more than one or two pulls before cranking. What ever tiller you get, be sure and ALWAYS use fuel stablizer in the gasoline that is added to the tank.

jenniferbrannan
Newly Registered

I found this tiller for about 568.00 and really would like to get it but do not understand the torque.. I want a good tiller just don't know if this one is going to do the job or not.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

The 850 designation is for the Briggs and Straton Engine that tiller has. The engine develops 6.5 hp. That's a chain drive tiller and should be adequate for home use. If you are going to till for profit you'd be happier I imagine spending more money. The more you spend, the easier tilling is. I have a Troy Build tiller that's close to the one you're looking at. I use it 10 times a year and it does well for me. My wife can't/wont use it. You can rent tillers. I rented a $4000 tiller and loved it. My pocketbook liked the $600 tiller much better.

jenniferbrannan
Newly Registered

Thank you again for your replys it really has helped, I definitely don't want to lose out on a good deal. I do know that it does come with a warranty, still trying to find out a little bit more information. I have always heard that briggs and straton motors is good. any other opinions would be great on this tiller and motor.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I don't think I've seen much small equipment lately that doesn't have B&S motors. Everything I own in the garden shed has one including the Dayton generator. How much plowing are you going to do? I do like the reverse feature Alex mentioned but it does cost a few hundred more.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It also has the front drive wheels. Those rear tine tillers that don't have wheel drive will work a person to death. IMO those with wheel drive are worth the extra money. If a person had never used a tiller, then it would make sense to rent or borrow one of each kind and feel the diffence in using them. With the drive wheels I can walk beside the tiller holding on with one hand while it walks across the area being plowed.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Yeah you get what you pay for. Mine is front drive but it takes a bit of muscle to help it. Luckily, I like the workout but you may not. Probably worth renting to try them out. Any tiller will do the job if that's what you're worried about and most warranty's are close to the same. Most sellers don't do the warranty work anyway so it's only as good as the guy who honors it. I know HD, Lowes and my Tractor Supply don't work on machines so you may want to check that part out too.

mswindham
Newly Registered

Hello,I don't know if you've bought yet but I just bought the same tiller with the dual rot. tines & it's well worth the extra & has plenty of power to plow thru some wet gumbo mud at my place.Hope this helps

Blunt

I switched to a 48 inch. tractor mounted tiller. Now I hate going back to walk behinds. Have to for smaller plots though. I haven't tried the craftsman. But really did not like the rented rear tine troy built I tried. The wheels are powered all the time which make it difficult to break down clumps. You have to pull hard enough to overcome the traction of the wheels and the tiller tines (best to have plenty of cheese burgers under you're belt before trying this) I am looking at a mantis tiller for flower.

Return to “Composting Forum”