jksimpson

I just spread my first compost batch

It was so exciting. I had never composted before, so it was quite a surprise of not peeking for a couple of months to finally open it up and see this beautiful mulch looking stuff! I couldn't wait to get into into my vegetable/herb garden and around my flowers. I have heard it is referred to as black gold, so I cannot wait to see what it does for the beds!

annafaie
Cool Member

How exciting! I can't wait until I'm at that point :-)

rot
Greener Thumb

Neat. Spread all the organics you can into your soil and you'll always be going forward not standing in place and certainly not backward.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Not to burst your bubble but I just want to warn you that when you use compost it's not like giving your garden a shot of N. I had some great hopes when I did my first batch at the beginning of this year. But not seeing much differance when I applied it I thought something was wrong. But as the year went along and I worked more compost into some areas I notices how much less I had to water and some plants seemed to produce a bit better then some the year before.

But when I planted some fall flowers where I had spring flowers and used compost I noticed how much nice the soil looked then it did a few months ago.

It's a time thing and every time you work compost into the ground you are not only helping the plants that you put in with it but helping plants for the future. :D

LazyGirl
Cool Member

I totally share your excitement. I finished my first batch a few months ago and still look lovingly into the garden beds where I added it. Call me sentimental I guess. :P

I do notice a better texture with the soil where I applied the compost. It acts like a sponge and really does seem to hold more water than before.

Good luck and enjoy your compost!

Jbest

I have been making three bins, some years more and some years less for 50 years. :shock: That is in the neighborhood of building 150 bins, turning at least 300 times and spreading 150 bins all with a pitchfork. And I wonder why I have to take Tylenol occasionally. :roll: Below is a link to my 2008 fall composting activities.

John
https://www.jbest123.thegardenjournals.org/?p=80

rot
Greener Thumb

That was a neat link to your activities. I like your set up.

I guess that HM really digests all those browns.

I'm looking for a nearby source for HM myself. I don't want to travel too far because with gas prices such as they have been and will likely return, it's no longer free if you have to go too far.

Thanks for the photos.

Return to “Composting Forum”