knight_47

compost is a bit moldy at the bottom

hello friends,

it's my first time ever with a compost bin attempt, and so far i have about 95% fruit/vegetable scraps, and the rest being some hay, tea and coffee grounds.

today i was tossing it around to give some aeration, and i noticed that the very bottom is a bit moldy, which i presume isn't a good thing. it could possibly be because it rained very heavily the past 2 days, so it's pretty wet.

what can i do to prevent this mold??

applestar
Mod

Well, first off, there's no need to "prevent mold", as you say, since it's all part of the process -- ultimately, you're going to have (want) a lot of fungal as well as bacterial activity in the compost. That said, 95% kitchen scraps is way too much "GREENS" (Tea and Coffee grounds also fall in this category). You really need to mix in more "BROWNS".

You can eventually have compost from 100% fall leaves ("BROWNS"), but you can't get compost from mostly "GREENS" -- AND you'll have slimy, stinky, etc. problems.

Hmm -- wasn't there a "sticky" of a list of greens and browns here? Maybe it's in the Permaculture forum....

ed: Ah Ha! Found the list: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9089
Can somebody "stickify" it?

rot
Greener Thumb

Cornell U list of ingredients

While not a simple list of greens vs browns, the following is pretty comprehensive. Most of the time I'm just comparing the values against grass clippings (the green) and maybe saw dust (the brown).

The link hasn't changed on me for 3 years or so, so it is fairly stable.

https://compost.css.cornell.edu/OnFarmHandbook/apa.taba1.html

Not to be a noodge but, I always think of tea (leaves) as a brown. I drink tea every day but the tea bags don't amount to much anyways.

rot
Greener Thumb

mold - cool

I really think the the coolest thing is when the bins get dog vomit slime mold. It really looks like a dog barfed on the compost. Of course I think it's cool when I get it on the grass too.

When I get mushrooms, I know stuff is getting serious digestion. Good bye pathogens.

Let it rot.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

It sounds like it may be a little to wet but I wouldn't worry to much. Things change as to what environment your in. But you usually want to go by the smell and feel of your compost and not what's is or isn't in it.

You want a compost with little to no smell coming from it. If it smells sour it may be wet or to many greens. Either let it air out or add browns.

Even though it may not smell you still want to feel how wet it is. You want it to feel like a damp sponge.

Other then those two thing you don't have to worry to much about it. The outside part of it is always going to be a bit different. To wet you may get mold. It may dry out in the summer and be to dry and get some ants or other bugs. Or in the winter the out side might just freeze. All are fine because the work is usually done in the middle. After more time you will learn that even if you don't have a perfect pile it will still rot and come out looking good.

knight_47

so mold is fine then?

thanks for the help guys.

rot
Greener Thumb

mold is fine

I think mold is fine.

Return to “Composting Forum”