Vallia
Newly Registered

frogs and snails

there are frogs and snails in my compost should I leave them?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'd get rid of the snails, but that's just because I hate 'em. :lol: (Well, I hate the garden snails, anyway. :evil: )

Snails are hermaphrodites, and can lay eggs without having to mate. They can lay millions of eggs a year, and I understand the eggs are not very sensitive to temperature. For all I know, they might be able to survive even in a "hot" compost pile.

Vallia
Newly Registered

so is there any way to get rid of them?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sorry, I don't know how you could go about getting them out of a compost bin, short of hand picking them, and then you'd probably only be able to get the bigger ones. Chances are, they've already laid eggs anyway. You'll probably be best off just watching all of your plants next year for snail damage and dealing with the critters then, using shallow platters of beer, or some other kind of bait.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The Almighty has smitten me with the Plague of Snails many times for my misdeeds (I guess...).

However, S/He also permitted me to make compost, in which I found snails. I smote them.

And Lo! when it came to pass that it was time to turn the compost, Behold! a total absence of snail eggs.

Thank G-d. So to speak. :wink:

So squash 'em when you see 'em. Let their little bodies decompose into the elements which they stole from your plants/compost. Smash 'em with a trowel, smash 'em with your well-shod foot, with a large stick...you get the idea.

Frogs, on the other hand, are insect eaters and VERY USEFUL in the garden. If I had frogs show up, I'd be thrilled.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

David Taylor
Cool Member

Snails, I see them in my garden, I see them in my nightmares ...

I ended up writing a whole article on my snail experience, The Slimy Dawn of an Assault Gardener:

https://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewarticle.asp?AuthorID=3199&id=10909

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

GREAT writing and GREAT read! Thank you! :D

My garden isn't large enough for a 5-gallon bucket of snails, but I smash them back into the earth to enrich my plants, as the snails have enriched themselves *from* my plants. :twisted:

Yes. A great circle.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Return to “Composting Forum”