digitalia
Newly Registered

Who in Toronto wants our Organic Waste?

I'm sick of waiting for the city (or my building, whoever is dragging their feet) to provide us with an organic waste disposal besides the usual dumpster>landfill. I'm ready to start donating perfectly good compost fuel NOW to anyone in downtown Toronto willing to take it.

My wife and I eat a lot of vegetables, and therefore have lots choppings left at the end of preparing a meal. I grind up fresh coffee beans every morning to use in my french press. The only meat we eat is fish, so sometimes have shrimp tails and salmon or trout skins to discard - are those compostable?

Our balcony is too small to do any serious composting or even gardening, so we don't have any use for what we'd produce. So... who wants our stuff???

Ideally someone downtown, in the Yonge/Gerrard area - but I love biking all over the city and would personally deliver a bag or bucket of organic waste once or twice a week. Or anywhere between my place and Liberty Village area where I go to work each day.

An ideal system is one where I wouldn't even have to bother you, I could just leave a container on your porch or in your yard, you dump it, clean it out and leave it for me to pick up for the next round.

I just can't throw this stuff out any more, knowing where it's going and knowing how useful it is. Searching everywhere online I can't find anything about a "public composting program" or anything like that in our area. Am I the first one to think of this?

So let me know if you need compost fuel - I'm more than happy to donate!

Cheers,
Joe

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

What a wonderful thought you have going there.

I'm not familiar with the City of Toronto's Solid Waste Management program, but I'll bet there are some gardeners on www.freecycle.org who would LOVE to connect with you.

Check out FreeCycle. The home page has a searchable directory of all the FreeCycle groups (as of a year ago, there were over 400 worldwide; I don't know how many there are right now) in the world.

You'll probably be able to get some strong relationships going. You know: you give 'em the raw materials and, when they harvest, you get some of the goodies?

Best wishes!

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

What a great idea! I hope you can hook up with someone there and maybe they'll even let you pick a couple of your favorite veggies to grow and give you a portion of the loot when it's ripe! Good luck to you!

Return to “Composting Forum”