normdaworm
Newly Registered

Adding soil blends to improve subsoil's organic matter

Hello!

So my fiancé & I are renovating our backyard in preparation for our fall garden wedding. I’ve taken out existing plants and excavated 8-10 inches of soil (Mainly to remove existing roots and poor soil). My plan is to add 8-10 inches of a nutrient rich soil blend (consisting of Sandy Loam, WonderGrow Organic Compost, Rice Hulls, Chicken Manure, Grape Compost, Fir Bark, Cocoa Bean Hulls) instead of amending the existing subsoil (Sand-35%, Silt-6%, Clay-59%) with 100% compost. I'm concerned that the layer of compacted subsoil beneath may impede drainage and may not allow for extensive root growth. Will the nutrient rich soil blend improve the organic matter content of the existing subsoil similar to applying a layer of compost on subsoil?

Your expert advice is greatly appreciated!

imafan26
Mod

You can do a drainage test. The link below is to the Colorado State website. It has instructions on how to dig the test hole and also what you can do to improve drainage and the soil.

By adding organic materials regularly, the soil will slowly improve over time.

https://www.cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/219.html

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Worms will eventually provide some mixing of the layers and spread the organic matter into the subsoil.

You might want to till or at least break up the top of the subsoil layer before adding the new topsoil.

Return to “Composting Forum”