wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

STANLEY'S COMIN' HOME!!!

Lord Stanley's Cup is coming back to Hockeytown! :clap: :-() Congrats to our first Swedish Captain to win a Cup! Congrats to the Penguins for all-out hockey excitement. Heart-stopping last tenths of a second! At the National Anthem there wasn't an unblemished face on either team--a testament to hard-fought battles. Most worthy opponents.
Did I mention the Detroit Zoo renamed their penguin exhibit the Winguinarium for this series? Did I mention that when we went to visit the exhibit all the penguins had their backs to us? Really. It was hysterical.
Did I mention the class act of our former Captain, Steve Yzerman, who stayed in the VIP box so as to not steal any thunder or limelight from his teammates? Only thing better would have been to win at home, but hey, we'll take the cup with us, thank you very much!
YEE-HAH!! THE CUP IS BACK!! GO WINGS!!
Sleep tonight? Yeah, right.

webmaster
Site Admin

Ha!
Thanks for the update. :)

I don't follow sporting events but someone once told me that sports is every bit as theatrical as Shakespeare. Sports is drama. :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I'm happy for Detroit, but my heart always stops when Detroit wins, and I hold my breath until the next morning or two.

Vladimir Konstantinov. Vyacheslav Fetisov. Sergei M n a t s a k a n o v (trainer). Stanley Cup victors, 1997.

Konstantinov and M n a t s a k a n o v have never regained day-to-day function due to the severe brain/physical injuries they suffered in the car crash.

It takes me about three or four days to start breathing and be happy for the Stanley Cup victors these days if those victors are the Red Wings.

Well done, guys! But be careful. Please.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17
Last edited by cynthia_h on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Sergei spam (sp?) was one of the masseurs for the wings, back in the day. We have a "believe" patch from that season sewn onto one set of our motorcycle vests. Most of the dust has settled from various lawsuits related to that accident and more importantly, some new guidelines/safeguards are in place for "the boys".
Parade is Friday, wish I could skip work and go to Hart Plaza to see the big to-do; or even smuggle in a small tv 8) . I belive our local networks will run a repeat later in the evening or over the weekend sometime. I'm sure by Friday they'll all have their teeth back in... :lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I have no idea why Sergei M n a t s a k a n o v's name was replaced with the word "spam." I edited my previous message to put spaces between the letters of his last name.

Naslund is not only the first Swede but the first European-born captain AT ALL to lead a team to the Stanley Cup, according to what I've read in the paper and online today.

I hope you find a way to hmmm... "observe" the parade!

Cynthia H.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

It did it to me, too. Go figure. But who's Naslund? Lidstrom is our captain.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Brain failure!!! Yes, Nicklaus Lidstrom!!! (Maybe Naslund is a future captain??? playing with the 8- to 12-year old group in Sweden right now???)

I'm glad to hear that there are more guidelines for "da boys." I mean, the three Russians in 1997 TRIED to do the right thing. They knew they were going to a party, they knew they were going to get pie-face drunk, and so they HIRED A DRIVER AND A LIMO. This is the good, responsible thing to have done.

And that--hmm--total idiot driver was himself DUI... :x

I hope he has to do something loathsome for a living for the rest of his very long life and has to pay everything out in restitution.

Cynthia H.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Had our parade and rally yesterday. For all you naysayers out there, there was NO riot. Just a million or so very happy people (except when the mayor stepped up to the mike to make some mercifully short inane comments). This gen of champions is showing as much class as the previous gen of champions. Chris Osgood stayed for hours after the rally, signing autographs and posing for pix with the fans. He really meant it when he said that he and the team play for the fans--we're why they work so hard. And any Sports Illustrated nonsense about Hockeytown (R) moving to Minneapolis? Hogwash. The blathering of someone who OBVIOUSLY doesn't know what they're talking about. It's not the quantity of seats that count, it's the quality of the fans that fill them. So there.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”