wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Owww-wah! (again)

:x Well, it wasn't because I was cheering too hard for the Red Wings, it wasn't because I overdid it in the yard, or anything else, but my back went out today. Not in the area of my surgery, thank God, but all I can do is sit very still, gobble pain pills, and watch the clock for my next dose. I'm sharing this with you lot because I'm verry grummpy and misery loves to spread it around (loves company). Guess I'll finally get around to that beginning piano book and learn to read music... :roll: And yes, it hurts to laugh so don't be telling me jokes. That is all.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Aw poor Wing. :( Ready everyone? Awww poooor baby! :wink:

Seriously, hope you're feeling better Wing.

Opabinia

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

I SAID, "Don't make me laugh!" (but do they listen? Noooo.) Thanks, I think, Opabinia... :? Y'all may be hearing a lot more whining until I get better--fair warning.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I'm not familiar with your personal medical history, but I AM familiar with my own, and back pain is absolutely no fun.

I'm sure you've tried the usual anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants (if relevant), ice/heat/alternating treatments? Trigger-point release? Neck traction if relevant? Exercises performed while lying flat to stretch ilio-sacral/lumbar region? A body pillow to help maintain a straight spine while sleeping on your side?

I'm trying to think of everything I've used over time to help myself, or at least feel like I'm doing all I can to get better without triggering more problems.

Get better soon...

Oh, yeah: I don't have a dog in the Penguins/Red Wings fight. My Sharks were made into dogmeat by Dallas, so that was the end of the playoffs for me. :(

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Jess
Greener Thumb

Wing you poor thing!!

No joke is it. Been there, done that and got the t-shirt!

The one thing that has worked wonders for me is Pilates.

I have had traction, physio, osteo, chiro and none of them worked. Since doing Pilates and learning how to use my 'inner core' (yes you have one too!) I have not had a recurrence....touch wood. Have you heard of it? Not sure if it has made it across the pond. Might be worth a try. If you are like me anything to stop it going again is worth a try.

look after yourself and I hope it is better soon.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Yes, heard of Pilates, it's huge here, especially with celebrities. I've heard there is a stand-up version that may be useful for me. I have exercizes for the shoulders and neck muscles that help protect that part of the spine. However, I've also had abdominal surgery that cut the muscles in the lower abdomen, so I don't know how much of a "girdle" I have left. It's pretty numb there. I've inherited my bad spine and joints from my parents, so don't have much choice there. Better living through chemistry and a good long, hot shower tonight before bed.

Yes, I have pillows in every conceivable shape/size/density and alternate so I don't sleep too many nights in the same position. Good mattress, etc. But still, in spite of my efforts there will still be days like this. But I'm real good at whining, aren't I?

Thanks for all your good wishes. There's a hockey game on tonight, and it's gonna be tough sitting still and not yelling at the TV. Sigh.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Poor little you. I've never been hit as bad as you with back problems but sometimes I sit down after running around planting all day and am so stiff I can hardly get up after just 15 minutes of taking a break. Stiff is a lot different from being in pain. I soooo hate being in pain. Really sorry you're under the weather for a while and this couldn't have happened at a worse time of year.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Well, it took a week, but I'm finally back to normal, whatever that is. I think I finally figured out what triggered it. I'd been sleeping on my stomach for a week or so prior, and noticing that every morning I'd get up stiff and sore. OK, note to self: cut that out and sleep on your side or back like you used to. Oops, I was gonna say a "gardening thing", but I'd better save that for the proper spot... 8)

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

You're all better? Then what are you doing up at this ungodly hour?

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Um, same thing you are! But the time is wrong, I was only up until 2-something this weekend :lol:

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Yaa, I'm up at all hours too when my sleep gets messed up from not feeling well.

Kenshin14435

I'm up at all hours too. Summer break brings the NO-SLEEP days. Days where I just don't go to sleep. Although, it's kinda irretating. You post any almost no one is online. I think we shoul have a little pat of the site that tells you who is online at the moment. That would be cool. *SIGH*
During the summer I'm normally up until 12-1. Or until I crash and fall asleep on the keyboard. That's annoying because you wake up and you go to look in the mirror. It looks like yur made up of little blocks. You got the keys imprinted into your face. Then if you gotta go to work, everyone looks at yuo as if you were a giant chicken. It's annoying.....not to mention embarrassing.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”