imafan26
Mod

Which chores you have to do, but hate the most!

I was watching a homesteading channel and the youtuber, has a garden and likes to cook and preserve.
She has a nice kitchen. Half my house would probably fit in her kitchen, She has two wall ovens and gas or propane range and oven. She will spend a day deep cleaning, but hates to clean everyday stuff. She spent hours cleaning her ovens with scouring powder, for the first time in over a year of hard use. She has digital wall ovens. Don't they have cleaning cycles? You should not use scouring powder in any oven. She also will leave dishes overnight if she doesn't have room in the dishwasher.

I don't have a dishwasher, so I have no choice but to wash everything by hand. I also have a much smaller kitchen so things I use everyday, live in the dish rack. I dislike cleaning the kitchen counter the most of the weekly chores. Not because it is hard to do, but because I have to move so much stuff to do it.

The one place besides the storeroom, which I haven't seen the floor in for years, is the tub. I usually use scrubbing bubbles every week, but actually scrubbing the tub is something I really hate to do.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Painting anything...walls, trim, inside or outside. Not much on weeding the garden or raking leaves either. The last couple of years to get rid the leaves from the eight trees in the yard I got on the riding mower and drove in a circle and blew all the leaves into a big pile in the center of the lawn. With a chipper/shredder the leaves got reduced to about 1/15th original and dumped into the compost pile. This year put on the garden to be tilled in for organic material.

applestar
Mod

Haha THIS thread has the PERFECT subject line for what I’m feeling today.

I had a deadline for one of THOSE persnickety paperwork that needs all the I’s dotted, t’s crossed and numbers matched.

I got it done and submitted just before lunch today. Yay :clap:

…BUT… there was a detail — not directly related but adjacent to the project at hand, and extremely important — that turned up in the process, and I wanted to be able to close this particular file, so I ended up spending another 45 minutes on the phone doing it.

I was a wreck after and it took me until mid-afternoon for my nerves to settle, but yay.

I THINK I can enjoy the weekend now. (Well, I *might* have an obligation on Sunday … but mostly clear, and not anything close to major).

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I thought that this would be about weeding and such. And, you know what part of that I hate? Running a hoe — yeah, I'm standing up and moving fairly easily. That might be the reason hoeing becomes more common for me. It won't mean I like it more. Most Hated Tool in the Garden.

Chores. When I was a kid, I thought Dad was really serious about dairy farming. I think he mostly just wanted to live in the country and it was a pleasure to come home from his job in town. Still, having a small dairy farm in the mid 20th century was dang near economically impossible. But, can you imagine anything more rigidly scheduled than milking cows morning and night, 365(6) days each year? I liked cows and country life. Dad told me when I was 6 that I had to learn to do chores if I wanted that life. I wanted it and believed him. It didn't work out but I'm still very much chore oriented.

Cleaning tasks? No, I don't like kitchen cleanup. I'm about as fussy as awkward digitS' can be about keeping things simple so as to not make a mess. I am a little stuck there because I also like something special to eat and homemade, by definition, is so eSpEcIaLlY sPeCiAl !

Steve :)

imafan26
Mod

Right now, the chore I am dreading is getting all the tax stuff sorted out and doing the tax paperwork. It is March already, so I am already behind in it.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

To demonstrate awkward digitS':

Yesterday afternoon, I was working with super glue. I won't trouble you with a picture of the result.

During the "press together for at least 5 seconds" stage, I thought that it looked a little ridiculous that the tube was stuck to my finger. Never the less, I pressed on with the task. Five seconds later, I peeled the tube off the digitS' ... along with some of the skin attached.

Always, after I pick up a tube of super glue, I have a problem like this! And, you know, I wasn't one of those kids who stuck his tongue to the metal post in the school playground. No. Not once!

bandaged digitS'

applestar
Mod

Ouch! :(

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

MY sympathies, @digitS' to you and your outraged finger. Commiserations also @imafan26 about the tax return. I got mine done & sent off, improperly completed and missing some info that came in late. I didn't worry about that, knowing they'll assess it anyway and correct anything they don't like.

Maybe my currently most avoided chore is dealing with that bucket of bone meal that got left in the rain. It is now a waterlogged, stinking mess. I don't know whether/how to use it as-is (could it be harmful?), or alternatively how to dry it for normal use. I have no warm covered space where the smell would be acceptable.

Then there's all the dilapidated stuff - raised beds, lattice structures and irrigation system - to be propped up, repaired, reorganized. The weather and my own dilapidation will keep me from getting these things done before they are way overdue.

ACH! Is all I can say.

imafan26
Mod

Vanisle, I feel for you. I have a lot of things that need to be done too. I had meat meal go bad, so I really know that feeling. It was a moldy, stinky mess. My coffee ground sort of look like that now, just less stinky.

imafan26
Mod

Today I have to do one of those chores I hate to do. Weed Whack the front yard. It is mostly weeds with some St Augustine invading the border beds.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”