Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Alberni isolated. Life stays interesting :).

Lucky we have a well stocked larder and no immediate out of town medical appointments.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2023MOTI0077-000890

And I thought oncoming headlights were the worst of my age-related driving issues! At least I got some old shade cloth up for my struggling tomatoes. I doubt the new stuff I ordered will get here anytime soon.

applestar
Mod

Sounds scary…. Stay safe! Hope you’ve all you need.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

@applestar; The fire is in a fairly isolated place. Only the road is threatened - but it's the only safe way out or in. It's giving me fresh thoughts about updating emergency supplies, assembling a "grab'n go" bag and where to flee if a fire did come close. Meantime we're just fine. Home insurance renewal time though. We're not earthquake covered and decided we won't be. Too expensive and if The Big One hits, not worth the paper it's written on.

imafan26
Mod

Stay safe, and that is the main thing.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Home insurance is becoming increasingly expensive and limited in other locations, VanIsle.

DD has worked in a national insurance office for a number of years. She was telling me that they are pulling back from all coastal areas of Florida. (She is away in Florida at the moment.) The news there about the insurance situation makes one wonder about how a lot of folks can afford to continue as residents of the state.

Next, there was something in the news about Texas home insurance.

On another thread, you mentioned 100's/thousands of miles from your location of communities in forests. Don't overlook the Columbia Basin. I have been concerned for several years about our lower elevation evergreen forests being permanently lost. A fire across those miles and miles of grassland and sage can burn rapidly, especially with high winds. The forests along the edges of the Basin are at risk as are farm crops and communities. Those folks with respiratory problems there and many, many miles away .... well, when the air quality falls to "hazardous," wildfire smoke becomes life threatening.

Steve

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”