Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Accessing/posting to dormant topic

I'm getting very frustrated with the forum while trying to access a previous topic. Firstly, the search box reads "Search these res'. I have no idea what that means, what are res?; but pressing on, I type in the name of the topic I want to browse and post to. Now I'm told that "No posts exist inside this topic for the selected time frame." I have not selected any time frame and am not presented with any opportunity to do so. What now?

The advanced search facility gets me no further.

Why can't I access the topic by typing its name in the search box, and if that won't work how else can I do it?

imafan26
Mod

Yeah, I ran into that problem too. Sometimes the topic is locked so you have to start a new thread on it. I have been able to expand the dates to search that helps and using key words when the topic is less than 3 months old. Sometimes I just go to the forum it exists in and go through the list to see if I can find a topic. Sometimes I can go through my profile to see which topics I have posted on, but that works best for recent topics. Other times, I give up and start a new thread.

applestar
Mod

I’m pretty sure “search these res” = results

My guess is you are looking at the search box above generated search results like “new posts” or “unread posts”

If you access the forum search — I can get to it from the 3-line drop down menu when using my iPhone (this is a typical mobile device menu shortcut). I haven’t used desktop in a while but I believe there are icons at the top above the banner.

…duh! I can give you the link for it —
search.php

Here is a screenshot of relevant section of the forum search page (I can’t figure out how to display the entire thing right now)

Clicking on “0 items” gets you the drop down menu of all of the forums to choose from.

You could choose the button for Display results as topics rather than posts….
Attachments
4D41E5D4-1107-414B-B6D3-D6077B47FABA.jpeg

applestar
Mod

FWIW, one of my favorite methods to search the forum for a vaguely remembered topic or post works if I remember the author/member who posted in it —

1. click on member’s name anywhere it’s available to go to their profile page
2. click on “search user’s posts”
3. use the “search these results” box to narrow down the search

Using this method displays a few lines of the post — and as long as it doesn’t start with a quote of someone elses’s post, it’s enough to give you a pretty good idea of the topic or the post to scan for what you are looking for.

webmaster
Site Admin

Thanks Applestar!

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Thanks Applestar, Imafan, Webmaster. I've already tried all of those approaches but I'm guessing the topic itself must be too old to access so I'm giving up on it. (It's one I myself started - not something just vaguely remembered :))

Sorry for the delayed reply. We had a bit of a medical emergency here yesterday; left me in no mental condition for absorbing anything else. That crisis seems to have passed, thank goodness.

Back to testing my saved seed and figuring out which suppliers still have stock of the other veges I was hoping to grow. There's a lot of "out of stock" results to my searching - as well as significant price increases this year.

Happy New Year anyway, and Damn the Torpedoes!

webmaster
Site Admin

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:08 am
I'm guessing the topic itself must be too old to access so I'm giving up on it.
What is the URL of the topic?

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

What is the URL of the topic?
I don't know that or how to find it. In any case accessing the topic has lost whatever importance I thought it had. Thanks for your responses: I'll reply to the PM later. Things are a bit too busy for me this morning.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”