imafan26
Mod

Just add pineapple and call it Hawaiian

I just got my Sam's club flyer with a picture of Hawaiian chicken. that is on a bed of rice in a pineapple husk. (MAY 4- JUNE 5, 2022). Note: the rice looks to be a long grain rice. Most people in Hawaii eat short grained rice everyday. Long grained rice is usually for special occasions and served mostly in Thai restaurants.

A lot of recipes that are not authentically Hawaiian, are called Hawaiian by adding pineapple.

It is amusing to me. Pineapple plantations thrived in Hawaii for many years and are now mostly relics turned into subdivisions. Pineapple isn't even native to Hawaii. It is native to Central and South America.

the picture on the cover of the Sam's club booklet actually looks like a fusion dish. It looks like a piece of grilled boneless teriyaki chicken with sesame seeds,pineapple, and green onions. The rice looks like it is long grained, and again it is in a pineapple shell. While it looks lovely and probably would taste pretty good. There is nothing "Hawaiian about it".

https://catalog.samsclub.com/instantsav ... ay-2022/1/#
https://www.pearlharbortours.com/blog/p ... e-history/

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Do people in Hawaii ..

. make pizza with pineapple?

I just don't understand why that isn't an acceptable idea - even if it isn't Italian. I mean, the tomato isn't Italian. Besides, it tastes good :D .

Steve
okay, now don't hurt my feelings ... unless you are an Italian Hawaiian, then doing so is okay.

imafan26
Mod

Actually, pineapple is on pizza too. Pizza is such a versatile thing that you can put almost anything on it.
We have Chinese Pizza. Pizza with moo shoo pork/chicken topping. Seafood pizza shrimp, salmon, crab/surimi, fishcake, mackerel, scallops, tuna. Hawaiian pizza usually has pineapple, bacon or ham, if it were not so expensive spam and corned beef are options too. Dessert pizza has cream cheese and fruits. We can also substitute other sausages for pepperoni.

Instead of a regular pizza crust, you can make a rice pizza crust or use naan, pita, or french bread instead. It works well for a personal pizza when you don't have pizza crust around but you do have other "breads" around. Deli meats and meatballs are great on french bread. You can even make fried ramen noodle crust and top it with basically stir fried vegetables and meats.

I might consider teriyaki chicken and/or beef on a pizza. That would go well with pineapple too. No tomato sauce just thicken up the teriyaki sauce add some toasted sesame, shitake or matsutake mushrooms, carmelized onions, and/or green onions.

I wonder if I could put Kim chee, on a pizza? It goes with almost anything. I should try it someday.

It might actually hurt real Italians who would not consider these real pizza toppings.

Here fusion cooking is not strange. Anything is possible. However, don't try ketchup on saimin/ramen. That was not a good thing.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”