Gary350
Super Green Thumb

WHAT do you do when your not gardening?

Bathroom water faucet got so it drips all the time so yesterday I try to find repair parts for a MOEN faucet. Wrong parts so today I look for parts again other places, wrong parts again. MOEN faucets & parts suck. Next I buy 2 new DELTA bathroom water faucets at Lowe's 10:45 am. After lunch it took 30 minutes to remove and replace both faucets. You can't beat Delta they are so easy to repair in 5 minutes if they leak.

2 months ago kitchen water faucet started giving us trouble so wife found 1 she liked on Amazon and 3 days later it arrived and I had it installed in about 45 minutes.

I collected lots of free wood form construction trash dumpsters. A few months ago I used scrap OSB board to cover the inside walls & ceiling of a small work shop 8ft x 24ft. I bought a new job site $250 table saw to cut wood into 12" x 48" pieces.

Last week it took me 2 days to put air in 1 tire. Air hose had a leak and air fitting that puts air in tire is broken. Portable air tank will not fill and once filled air will not come out. After getting an assortment of pipe fittings and air fittings and a new air hose I got air compressor working, air tank working, but no air goes into tire valve stem. After fixing the problem air goes in tire but leaks out very quick. Next I bought a can of fix a flat tire aired up & held air. So far so good.

I am still looking at the tree limbs that broke off and fell in the yard. I have no desire to do anything to them.

I have 130 watts of solar panels & controller and I still can not figure out what to do with 130 watts of nothing. 130 watts is so small it is a waste of time.

I removed all the coax wires on my 2 TV antennas then tested the wires with volt meter 2 wires are bad. I have extra 30 year old wires in the work shop. I have a 500 ft roll of new wire. I had to order coax cable fittings. Now I have good working wires, TV has been re scanned now antennas are picking up 72 FREE TV stations. Wow I feel like I am in heaven with all these new channels, garden shows, wine making shows, travel shows, cooking shows.

Today lights in the small shop have several bad light bulbs so I made a trip to Lowe's to buy new bulbs. Then I decide that was stupid idea so I ordered a 9100 Lumen LED 70 watt light 5500K from ebay. This light makes 50 times more light than the 8 bulbs I just bought & 70 watts instead of 280 watts.

Wife has been buying furnace filters at Walmart we are having a lot of trouble with them. Air will not go thought the filters very easy it puts such a strong suction on the furnace fan it keeps over loading and turning off. I went to the local heat & AC company and bought 5 good quality 20"x30" air filters they cost less than Walmart and work 20 times better.

I cleaned up the big work shop and burned several wheel barrels of wood. I cleaned up piles of saw dust to pour down inside the work shop walls for insulation.

I had several boards on work bench to build bird house that I have been ignoring for 4 months. So I decided to do assembly line style bird house building. I cut, 6 tops, 12 sides, 6 backs, 6 fronts, 6 bottoms. Several boards need no screw holes, other boards only need 3 screws per board so I drilled all the holes in drill press. Then assemble, backs to bottoms, fronts to bottoms, sides to bottoms, roofs, 6 bird houses in 1 hour.

I made 5 gallons of mix berry wine, 3 gallons of peach wine, 1 gallon of cranberry wine, 1/2 gallon of Red cherry wine, 1 gallon of cranberry cherry wine., 1/2 gallon black cherry wine.

I have lost interest in cooking but I still like to watch cooking shows on TV. I showed wife a good recipe she bought it in frozen section at the grocery store, it was good. LOL.

I had to buy and replace wind shield wipers on the, truck, suv and wifes car.

2 utility trailers that vanished under, vines, poison ivy, stick weeds, are now visible after all this cold weather leaves died & fell off. I spent 2 days cutting plants away with electric clippers.

This morning I was expecting it to be cold so I put on my blizzard jacket & hat then went outside, its not cold. LOL. It warmed up to 66° today.

imafan26
Mod

Actually, I like moen, but Moen parts are harder to get now. I can't find the handle for my faucet, since the design was changed. However, moen cartridges are so much easier to fix.

What do I do when I am not gardening?

I have become quite addicted to Chinese dramas. So, I am trying to learn Mandarin. Only problem is in real life, there are so many dialects that hardly anyone speaks standard Mandarin. It is like Filipino dialects, they are so different that they cannot understand each other if they don't speak a common dialect.

I still have to do the house chores. No one else is gonna do them.

I volunteer, but that is also at gardens

My orchid clubs meet online or not at all.

I like to go shopping, but covid has curbed that a lot.

I am currently on a low carb diet (again), so I have to do strict tracking. I don't like to cook, but I do like to bake. That is on hold now. For the most part I have a very boring diet plan. I also found out the best way to prepare food on this diet is simply with minimal processing. Boil, broil, fry, or nuke it. Otherwise, eat it raw in as close to an unprocessed state as possible. Gravies, sides, desserts, and
sauces, add salt and carbs. I still like my bacon. I also had to get smaller bowls and use a smaller plate, because I have to weigh every ingredient and after weighing it, I realize that the bowl is too big for the allowed portion sizes. The only time I use a big bowl is for salads. I can get a lot of lettuce for very few calories and carbs. Not so much if vegetables are cooked. Cooked vegetables and their sauces magnify calories and carbs.

My cats make sure to reinforce my training to make sure I continue to serve them. If you are a cat person you will know what I mean.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Nothing but trash on TV. I am watching YouTube videos there are lots of good things to watch. My AD blocker blocks all the ADs.

webmaster
Site Admin

I'm looking at a Moen kitchen faucet. Need to figure out whether to install it myself or pay someone to do it.

I'm loving what's on TV nowadays, but you have to pay for it. But my wife and I can't watch more than two hours at a time because we get sleepy.

We tried watching a movie on Netflix over the weekend (About Time) and we only made it a half hour in then set it aside to finish another night.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:10 am
I'm looking at a Moen kitchen faucet. Need to figure out whether to install it myself or pay someone to do it.

I'm loving what's on TV nowadays, but you have to pay for it. But my wife and I can't watch more than two hours at a time because we get sleepy.

We tried watching a movie on Netflix over the weekend (About Time) and we only made it a half hour in then set it aside to finish another night.
I had Netflix 10 years ago I like the true stories. Foreign movies are much better than American blood & guts & murder movies. True store called, Rabbit Fence is very good. True store about a family that was out of work they migrated 2000 miles on bicycles they found work along the way, can't remember the name. True stories are the best.

Water faucets are very easy to replace in 10 minutes work they have 1 large nut in center or 2 large nuts on each side, quick release flex hoses. Turn water off under the sink, remove hoses, remove nuts, pull out old faucet. Put in new faucet, screw on big plastic nuts by hand, screw on 7/8" hose fitting, turn on the water. Moen is nice but replacement parts are expensive, hard to find & not easy to work on. I bought $65 worth of parts trying to fix our Moen finally decides replacing the faucets are less work and cost less too. A plumber told me Moen changes their designs every few years, old parts don't fit new faucets & new parts don't fit old faucets plus you need special tools to take Moen faucets apart. I bought a $20 tool to take our Moen faucet apart then learn no one sells this repair part anymore. Our old Moen bathroom faucets put out 2 times more water than our new Delta faucet but I don't need all that extra water and Delta is easy to work on. Our new kitchen faucet has 2 choices, off and fire hose, need to look out I get wet every time I turn it on, adjust faucet under the kitchen sink to reduce fire hose volume. It takes me longer to collect a few tools from work shop then remove all the stuff under the sinks than it does to replace the faucets. I also had to return to 3 stores to get refund on Moen parts & tool I don't need. It is easy to call a plumber but hear it cost $100 just to have a plumber come to the house then $100 for 1 hours work plus parts.

imafan26
Mod

I don't have cable, I only have internet. It is just too expensive. I watch all my "tv" on the computer. It is why I watch Chinese dramas, they are current. I often watch three or four at a time or if there is nothing interesting. There are so many romance and modern dramas that I am actually looking for the older wuxia and xanxia ones instead. I would rather rewatch those since the plots move along a lot faster. I have amazon prime, so I can watch some prime video as well. I agree there is not much on tv that is really good. So many game shows and ads every 5 minutes. You tube has some good content and I like the old classic movies even the ones I have seen many times. I am following some bloggers on you tube, those are mostly gardening related channels, and TED talks. I also watch the local news on youtube. And I am used to watching programs almost ad free.

I have replaced faucets before. It really is not hard unless you have a tight space under the cabinet, then you need to us the basin wrench. Before you buy the faucet you need to know the number of holes you have and the spacing. Single, 4 inch, or 8 inch spacing. I found out the hard way for my expensive kohler sink, only 5 faucets fit, so they have to be kohler and only those models But for a common standard sink, any brand will do. The other thing you have to know is the size of your valve and flexible tubing. Most modern faucets now come in 3/8 or 1/2 inch tubing so you have to know that in advance or it will be hard to fit it without changing the valve as well, and it usually does not come with connectors any more. You also need teflon tape. For garbage disposals, as long as you get a similar model it is not too bad, you only need to change the motor, the rest of the fittings don't change much year to year. If you get another brand or size then the part that goes in the sink also needs to be changed and you will need silicone or plumbers putty to seal it. You may have to make changes to the p trap and connecting pipes if you want to relocate the disposal or change a dishwasher connection.

I had an a badger insinkerator brand that I have been using for years, but the quality has gone down. The last one lasted only 4 years (it has a one year warranty. The older ones had 5 year warranties). This time around I did go with a Moen which is bigger, 1 hp, so the part inside the sink also had to be changed. The p-trap parts fit. This one has a 10 year warranty. I really don't need the power, I hardly use the disposal and I don't put bones in disposal, but an occasional spoon has landed there by accident. I found out the hard way, even if you don't use the disposal on a daily basis, it still rusts and then it leaks under the sink. I do have to have someone do it. I bought the disposal and the plumber's putty, and I have teflon tape I use for the drip system. I have several. Finding them is the catch. The disposal is heavy and I can't lift it or even get on the floor to connect it. Only thing was that this disposal came with a plug and the other disposal had a pig tail, my handyman decided it would be better to put a plug in instead of the pigtail, so we still had to go and get an outlet box, cover, and outlet so he could install that. I have learned to keep all of the paper work for my appliances and now I write the month and year that I purchased it, on the appliance so I know how old it is and it makes it easier to look for parts.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

When I'm not gardening?
1. Thinking about gardening (roll on spring!)
2. Thinking about all the things that need done around here
3. Working on some of the easier things that need done around here
4. Attempting to learn fine woodwork
5. Reading; fact, fiction & in-between
6. Watching movies - esp Brit WW2 and other oldies.
7. Napping during 5 & 6.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Cooking! And, of course, eating. What better to do when not gardening? And if reading, it is probably like here, about gardening, or something about cooking, like finding something to do with some of those weird veggies in my garden.

I do have a good size wood working shop, but haven't had any big projects there in recent years. I do need another bookcase, for all those cookbooks I have. :lol:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

YouTube has 1000s of True stores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOl8LIn6d2k

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We went camping in the mountains for 3 days. We camped with a Vintage camper trailer group list shows 46 vintage camper trailers, most were couples and 2 single women. Pot luck dinner was Fri & Saturday night at 5 pm. Temp in the mid 70s during the day and 34° Sunday morning 128 miles from home. Group camp fire every evening with about 85 people is fun. Group camp fire every morning free coffee. Camper trailer open house 12 noon to 3 pm Sat. Several fun activities with door prizes. I enjoyed cooking breakfast every morning at the picnic table.
Attachments
100_5940.jpg
100_5941.JPG
100_5943.JPG
100_5955.JPG
100_5959.JPG
100_5970.JPG
100_5974.JPG
100_5977.JPG

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Gary,

If I remember right, you kind of rebuilt your camp trailer from the ground up. Is that right?

BTW, it looks like fun!

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:02 pm
Gary,

If I remember right, you kind of rebuilt your camp trailer from the ground up. Is that right?

BTW, it looks like fun!

Steve
Yes, I bought a 1964 vintage camper that was rotted & caved in. Big hole in roof, big hole in floor. It setting in the rain for who knows how many years, I saved the aluminum siding, windows, metal frame, and 2 kitchen drawers. It took 2 week to get the aluminum off 60 year old screws were stuck very tight. Then I built it back good as new. This camper had 8 different floor plans so we picked 1 and I built it back in 2 months. I put the 60 year old wood in the garden and burned it. Sanded & panted the metal frame. Rebuild the axles, springs, bearings, seals, grease fittings, new tires & wired the lights inside & out. Next I framed it like a 1 room house with 2"x2" boards. Built the, kitchen, bathroom, table & 2 seats, sofa pulls out to make a bed but we put a brand new queen pillow top mattress on it. Wife found 4 seat cushions online. $76 free shipping. Wife painted the inside & did the curtains. I painted the roof & wife painted the outsides. There was no door so I built one. Wife stocked the inside with, everything, towels, blankets, dishes, pans, coffee maker, microwave oven, etc. I started working on it 2 days after Christmas Dec 27 it had to be finished by March 1st our first vintage rally in I
this camper was in Florida 14 hour drive.
Attachments
002.JPG
003.JPG
006.JPG
010.JPG
100_5688.JPG
100_5694.JPG
100_5741.JPG
100_5820.JPG
100_5944.JPG
100_5907.JPG
100_5906.JPG
HoneyComb.jpg

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

That IS ..

just Incredible, Gary!

imafan26
Mod

That is incredible and the scenery is so beautiful. I can see why you enjoy it. I only went day camping and I have not done that in years. I do like my modern inconveniences like a restroom and bath with hot water. We used to pack a couple of coolers. One was for bait for fishing with the fishing gear, one for cold drinks and the other for food, usually marinated meats, plus the grill and my chair, books and the tarp for shade. I would bring my bicycle to ride around the park. I am not a good rider so I don't ride on the road. We'd leave at 5 in the morning and get home around 7 p.m. It was a nice State park and usually the same people went there all the time. It had a small sand beach.

Later, we decided it was just too much stuff to bring. So we pared things down. We brought the bait cooler and a cooler for drinks and a soft cooler for plate lunches we bought on the way. The market is only 8 minutes away from the park. We would have another bag of fruit and snacks. It saved a lot of prep time and we no longer had to bring the grill, plates, dish soap, towels, or charcoal with us. I don't miss grilling(especially the soot and stickiness that goes with it) and I can do that at home more conveniently if I wanted to.

We always brought soap and we left it in the restroom for people to share. Often someone would have left a shower curtain. The toilets actually had seats and doors which is something that is not always how you find it in other places. There is even a sink to rinse the sand out of the bathing suits and often, someone would plug a rice cooker or a radio into the light with an adapter.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Here is a good video I found on YouTube. American TV sucks, blood & guts, cop shows, worthless trash, if I turn TV on it is usually off in 2 minutes. I watch electronic videos, garden videos, British Mystery videos, science videos, True stories, Documentary videos, educational videos, anything interesting when weather is too bad to be outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6AqKhdRl0c

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”